Brake Fluid Leaking at Proportioning Valve

I have been noticing a few drops of brake fluid on the garage floor, under the TC. The fluid ic coming from the proportioning valve flare nut fittings. Is this a common problem? Of course I tried tightening the fittings, but they are already good and tight, and I didn't want to damage them by over-tightning.

The problem is probably aggrivated by my very steep (20-degree) driveway, which requires considerable braking, just before entering the garage.

In the event I end up replacing the proportioning valve, are new replacements available?

Guest Bob Barrow

I had same problem last year. If it is the valve right under the drivers seat along the frame rail, it is repairable. You must remove the valve, 2 flared tubing nuts and one bolt that attaches it to the frame rail. The valve does come apart and you will find a small "O" ring between the 2 halves. Find a warehouse that sells "O" rings and they should be able to match the old one with a best grade available. After reinstalling the valve you will probably have to bleed the rear brakes. Bleeding the rear brakes only involves having key on in order to have hi pressure brake pump on and holding brake pedal down while opening the bleeders. Do not pump brake pedal as you would normally would. This is all spelled in the TC service manual. Good luck----Bob

I have been noticing a few drops of brake fluid on the garage floor, under the TC. The fluid ic coming from the proportioning valve flare nut fittings. Is this a common problem? Of course I tried tightening the fittings, but they are already good and tight, and I didn't want to damage them by over-tightning.

The problem is probably aggrivated by my very steep (20-degree) driveway, which requires considerable braking, just before entering the garage.

In the event I end up replacing the proportioning valve, are new replacements available?

Darn good question on parts availability and it's good to know that these are repairable because the answer to this question comes with a question; the first answer is yes they are available and with no good cross reference for part numbers that raises the question; which one do you buy? It looks like you can get these from AC Delco ????