Went for first ride with Wife in the 39 Studebaker

The wife likes the car and so smooth and quiet. We did not go on the interstate just a little bit out of town. The steering is easy and smooth also. Going to make a nice tour car. The Hill Holder works very nice also. I got outside mirrors ordered for the car. Got to have them. Seal beam headlights and Overdrive the car needs. This is my first Studebaker and I am very impressed with the car. Its doesn't half to take a back seat to a Ford. That for sure. If you would come by I would take you for a ride.

post-99883-14314245562_thumb.jpg

Nice looking car with distinctive headlights. Before you swap those out with sealed beams you might want to see how they work when in good condition: Remove all corrosion in the wires and reflectors and then use modern quartz-halogen bulbs. You may find that your lights become satisfactory and you can maintain that original look. http://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights

It just occurred to me... The electrical connections in your car are probably zinc plated brass as they are in my Coupe Express. Each connection will be a little galvanic cell, with zinc over brass on a steel bolt with steel washer and nut. The zinc corrodes first of course, then the steel corrodes. Zinc oxide and iron oxide conduct poorly.

You should clean every connection and tin with solder, and clean the steel connections. This will make a big difference to the lights and perhaps to engine running. I only had 2.2 V at the coil because of this problem and it took a while to find. My lights had been replaced with Guide sealed beam bumper-iron-mounted lights.

The gasket under the headlight glass in the 39s can be dodgy, resulting in water in the headlight "bucket". It sits in the bottom and they rust out. Perhaps check yours... Replacement 40s may also have this problem?

I also seem to remember wire strands in some wires may be zinc plated - there was corrosion at the brass connector. And often some of the strands are broken at the connector. Maybe shorten the wire and put on a new connector?

Headlights not working could be due to a blown fuse. The shop manual for '39 mentions three 20 Amp fuses mounted in back of the instrument board in the centre. Look at the middle one for the headlights. I had this problem during a night rally once; I got to the "lunch" stop at 1 a.m. by taping the relay shut and the local mechanic said to look for a fuse; it is mounted on the switch in the Coupe Express ('38 Commander set-up). 'Fixed it easily.

Another thought... My vehicle has two relays on the left fender apron just above and in front of the battery, at least one of which is an extra. You may get more current to the lights using a similar relay set-up to switch the high current needed (with heavier and shorter wiring) and just use the light switch to operate the relay (i.e. low current). It may be set up like that already. My relays are "period" and unobtrusive but I have also seen a modern system in a beautiful low-mileage '39 Stude Commander Coupe with horrible corrugated plastic wire conduit routed around the engine bay. Mine were fitted by a previous owner.

Another thing I found... the battery earth is originally connected to the battery box, a poor set-up. My earth was directly to the engine on the front oil filter bolt, with a 1" braided wire strap between top and bottom of the front engine mount. One end of this strap was split, filthy, oily and little more than tucked under the washer rather than clamped under it. No wonder I was having problems!

Model A headlight wire (aluminium or steel wrapped) looks the same as the original Stude wire and is readily available, but only has three wires. You really want four (one as earth). And if you make up something similar, you can use heavier wire to reduce the voltage drop.

Thank you I will do further checking to see if I can find the problem. Sure wish you were here. Would show you a great time traveling through the mountains here. I hope to enjoy this car with my wife. Did get the mirrors for the Studebaker yesterday. I have been very busy here at home setting up the Back Yard Buddy Lift so I can work under the cars with ease. If you ever get a chance stop around and will show you a great time.

You are probably already in the Studebaker Drivers Club - a great bunch of folks that loves Studes of all types and eras.

Hope to see you in your Studebaker at a SDC event this summer!

I won't be able this year to show the 39. Maybe next year. I am sign up with the V-8 club and will be judgeing 1940 Fords and showing my 1950 Ford Crestliner. Will be at Gettysburg. Then another National Meet at Indiana. In Sept the Glidden Tour and will be driving the 39 Studebaker Its first outing. Its in Defiance, Ohio. I have a friend that has a 1938 Present 4 door sedan. Its very nice also. I got to get the skirts painted for the 39.