Columbia Axle??

JohnMackay

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in right direction. I have a '39 LZ Sedan (right hand drive), Body Number 270, Motor Number 76495. According to the build sheet it has an Assembly Date of Feb 28, 1939... on the spec sheet it shows a Columbia 2 speed axle...how do I identify this actual unit is fitted and how do I operate the 2 speed..is there a lever / switch on the dash I operate to activate the 2 speed...is it hydraulicaly or cable operated? Finally, under "Special Equip" is lists "PIGI_USA"...does anyone know what this means?

Many thanks for any help.

John

The rear axle on your driver side will have a vacuum canister mounted to it. it's a cylinder about 6" in diameter and 8 to 9 inches long. It will have two 3/8" ports. The Columbia operates with vacuum from the engine. There are two types, those which were installed at the factory and aftermarket. The factory unit have a speedometer takeoff on the right side axle. The aftermarket don't have the axle takeoff and use a box mounted to the firewall and the speedometer takeoff is on the driveshaft right behind the transmission. The vacuum control device can be mounted in several places. Mine ('38) in on the steering box. The vacuum controls are cable operated. Be aware... If this unit has been sitting for a period of time it can have problems. If you try to shift it, it may destroy itself. You may want to think about 'bullet proofing' the unit. I don't know anyone on the other side of the pond that does it.

John, suggest you google "Columbia rear axle". Lots of information available. The Columbia Rear Axle is not an aftermarket automotive part. It is a genuine original factory overdrive unit. It was either added to the car under construction at the factory or added to the car at a later date by the Lincoln dealer. There is a dealer in California who can help you with parts. Just ask later if you need parts. Good luck with the car.

If you are not a LZOC club member you need to join. We're the club for Lincoln V 12's. Print out a application on our webpage.

Hi John,

We met several years ago at the American Car show at Knebworth. Its good to know that you still have the Zephyr. I remember this car back in the 1970's parked in London and have some photographs of it at that time. Let me suggest that the PIGI on the build card is actually PLGL

which means "Plate Glass". Also the "USA" relates to the bonnet (hood) nose trim which on cars shipped to England included the words "Made In USA". This is the same for the badges on 1937 and 1938 cars but not for 1936. Why did Lincoln do this?...who knows !! On the build card for export cars there is usually the note "TP" which indicate that a tin of Touch up Paint is included. Your car is number 270 out of a total of 436 export RHD sedans for 1939. I have Columbia axles on my cars and would be happy to assist you in any way.

Colin Spong London, England.

Many thanks for all the feedback,. I've had a look and unfortunately the Columbia appears to have been removed. I discovered the 2 vacuum pipes have cut just below the door post...there's no attachments to the existing axle.

Regards

John