Outside mirror paint

Guest WEB 38

This has been discussed in the past to the point of absurdity. I think the (closest thing to a) consensus was that the factory finish was gloss black.

I'm still not convinced of that as I look at the original color marketing brochure. There are pictues in which the finish appears satin or semi-gloss, and a couple that look like high gloss. The "centerfold" in the brochure looks satin to me and is a good full on profile view of the car. I've no doubt some retouching was done on this photo as you cannot see the interior at all (windows grayed out).

As well, the photos in the February 88 issue of Automobile magazine give me the same impression. And these were brand new factory fresh cars used for the photos, not ones with 25 years of exposure and washes to dull the finish.

Bottom line, I'm not 100% certain but lean toward satin. I have refinished all of mine in satin black (the stuff with the red Fiero on the label, name escapes me presently) and have been quite happy with the appearance and durability. Proper prep work is critical here however. Don't cut corners. Wet sand any defects, scotchbrite the surface to promote adhesion, clean with naptha and suspend the mirrror from a wire off a tree branch attached to one of the mounting studs. Mask the studs off to prevent fouling the threads with paint.

Make sure ambient temperature and humidity are good to paint in. High humidity will screw up the satin finish as the flattening agent will not cure right and it will look streaky.

Just my experience, sure others will have more to add.

KDirk