engine oil

gord14080

I have just finished getting my rebuilt engine running ,425 ,1965 riviera, and yes I used break in oil now what oil would you gentlemen suggest? I would like to do some road trips, and newer oils don't have the protection off oil 40 years ago. I need some advise?Thanks fore any help

There have been many posts about oil and just as many opinions. Like asking who makes the best pizza....sort of.

You want an oil specifically formulated for older engines. Some like to use modern oils along with a ZDDP additive for proper protection while others purchase oil engineered specifically for old engines with the proper level of ZDDP additves already present so there is no additional additive needed.

Here is an example of an excellent option which I happen to use but of course there are other brands/options. I'd go with the 10-30 since you have tight engine clearances with a fresh rebuild. http://penngrade1.com/

There is enough info out there on oils for older engines to kill and elephant or two. The long and short of it is to end up with the proper level of ZDDP zinc and phosphate antiwear additives which are not present in the latest API standard oils for modern engines.

I have just finished getting my rebuilt engine running ,425 ,1965 riviera, and yes I used break in oil now what oil would you gentlemen suggest? I would like to do some road trips, and newer oils don't have the protection off oil 40 years ago. I need some advise?Thanks fore any help

Gord,

There are some good discussion about this on some previous threads. No matter what oil you wind up with, you need to have an oil with a minimum of 1,000 ppm zinc/phosphate without having to add it as an additive. Right now I'm going with Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-40. That is probably good for your rebuild. But upon discussions w/ JohnRex, I'll probably be switching to their 20W-50 because I have some miles on my engine and it's probably a little looser in tolerances than your rebuild. The nice thing about the Mobil 1 products is that you can get a 5 quart jug off the shelf at your corner Wally-world for < $25.00. I choose to run the upper end NAPA filters becasue they're made by WIX.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

With the correct zinc and phosphate levels in the oil, there is no need for a ZDDP or any other oil additive. The only additive that I might consider would be on that would raise the octane rating of the gas. In the your area there are a number of service stations that sell ethanol free premium. The closet to you is the Hy-Vee at 9080 W 135th St, in Overland Park.

Addendum:

I just realized that I put useless info in this post because I saw "Gord" in the handle and thought it was Gordon who lives close to me. NOT!

It would be most helpful if we'd all sign our posts with our names and have our locations in our Avatars. So much for my public information forum. :rolleyes:

Edited by RivNut
Addendum (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Which one? Why?

I like the all in one properties of the Grade 1. I use 10W-30 or 10W-40. I use 20W-50 in my Harley (roller cam) and cringe at the thought of 20W-50 passing through lifters and making its way through a nailhead until its warmed up. IMO changing oil regularly, not beating up the motor more than likely outweighs the oil brand being used as long as the oil is changed.

Gord,

There are some good discussion about this on some previous threads. No matter what oil you wind up with, you need to have an oil with a minimum of 1,000 ppm zinc/phosphate without having to add it as an additive. Right now I'm going with Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-40. That is probably good for your rebuild. But upon discussions w/ JohnRex, I'll probably be switching to their 20W-50 because I have some miles on my engine and it's probably a little looser in tolerances than your rebuild. The nice thing about the Mobil 1 products is that you can get a 5 quart jug off the shelf at your corner Wally-world for < $25.00. I choose to run the upper end NAPA filters becasue they're made by WIX.

The correct weight for the Mobil 1 is 15W-50 for older engines.

Just bought a case (12 qts) Brad Penn 10-30 up in Santa Cruz - nearest dealer. About $6/qt. Decision was driven by the zinc rating with no compunctions re cost. Figure $ best spent for this car. This same place sells high octane fuel, 110 octane LEADED and 100+ unleaded. Only place I've found around here that sells unleaded and high octane. I suppose I'd need to change spark plug heat range to run 110 octane and, have a big yard sale every week just to pay for it - $7+/ gal and you must bring your own container. (Sounds like Kentucky, huh?) Oddly, price of 100+ unleaded was higher at $9/gal. Another odd thing; California is so "special" when it comes to CA EPA gasoline standards/formulation and here it is, leaded gas being sold right under the noses of California's most progressive -i.e., liberal - city, Santa Cruz. Does anyone remember the debacle of the 90's when we had Calif's MTBE gasoline pushed on us by the Sierra Club and other environmentalists? Ruined engines, contaminated ground water and no one held responsible. my best advice; don't move here.

Just bought a case (12 qts) Brad Penn 10-30 up in Santa Cruz - nearest dealer. About $6/qt. Decision was driven by the zinc rating with no compunctions re cost. Figure $ best spent for this car. This same place sells high octane fuel, 110 octane LEADED and 100+ unleaded. Only place I've found around here that sells unleaded and high octane. I suppose I'd need to change spark plug heat range to run 110 octane and, have a big yard sale every week just to pay for it - $7+/ gal and you must bring your own container. (Sounds like Kentucky, huh?) Oddly, price of 100+ unleaded was higher at $9/gal. Another odd thing; California is so "special" when it comes to CA EPA gasoline standards/formulation and here it is, leaded gas being sold right under the noses of California's most progressive -i.e., liberal - city, Santa Cruz. Does anyone remember the debacle of the 90's when we had Calif's MTBE gasoline pushed on us by the Sierra Club and other environmentalists? Ruined engines, contaminated ground water and no one held responsible. my best advice; don't move here.

Try a local airport. They probably offer 100 octane low lead aviation gas without the ethanol junk and less than the 5 gal jugs you can by in retail stores. just take them some 5 gal gas cans and they will pull up to your car with their fuel truck and fill you up. It's about $6.00 a gal here in PA.

Guest intrepid

Use an non-synthetic high ZZDP, to seat the rings, on a new engine. There are lots of break in oils out there. After 1500 miles, switch over to a synthetic, of your choice.

Kevin: Did I mention California is sooooo "special" and "progressive"? We cannot have 5 gallon metal "jerry cans" for gasoline here. Many gen'l aviation airports will not fill jerry cans you bring. Gov't in Sacramento (Our "caretakers") have outlawed them. Recently found I cannot even buy the replacement gaskets for the same jerry cans as the are not allowed to be sold in CA. Let's not even get started on the CA laws regarding auto paint. Put me on a thorazine drip and please pass the Kool-Aid before I start a rant. Dale

Dale,

ive lived in los angeles all my life 58 yrs. near downtown.there were alot less people and alot less cars back then than there are today, yet I clearly remember many days in the 1960s and 1970s where the air was so polluted that my eyes and lungs would burn and you could could actually see the thick ugly haze of pollution that was the cause of the lung and eye burning. Very similar to what the major cities of china are experiencing now.that pollution was caused by industry and cars. since all these anti-emission laws started i have seen the quality of air get better every year . i Have not felt the eye or lung burn for at least the last 30-35 years and im sure we have more than doubled or even tripled in the number of people and cars in the state and also lost most of the industrial side of our economy .in l a the numbers people and cars have certainly more than doubled. As much as i love driving my 65 rivi, i would rather have the much cleaner air that has resulted with implementation of the anti emission laws,even if it means i cant put leaded high octane gas in the tank.I know some of these laws seem over the top but they have produced very noticeable results.I love cali , will live here till i die. Ive been to monterey california its beautiful there but , and i say this with all due respect, if living there causes you so much grief that you feel you need thorazine you should leave for what you consider a better place. Life is too short to live in a place you dont like.

arnulfo

This is not the place for a "pissing contest" justifying/condemning the idiocy (MHO) of politicians and those who support 'em. Been here most of my life and I choose to continue ONLY 'cause the love of my life has family roots. You're entitled to your POV, just as I. Consider adding to the "clean air" movement by adding catalytic converters and associated air sensors, etc to your '65. Wait, wait! Please don't give those Sacramento idiots any more ideas. Thinking CA is now "Eden" due to more and more laws and regulations means having missed the opportunity to come of age in the 1950's when CA, and USA, was a "kinder and gentler" place- and more prosperous than today. Unfortunately our children/grand children will never see those times again. And, what great cars in the 50's/60's. At least that's a legacy we can agree on. Peace.