Tire size options for a 68 Wildcat?

Guest oldblackcat

Guest oldblackcat

Hey folks,

Just getting started on my Wildcat project and first up is some new rubber. The car is a 68 Wildcat Custom, 2 dr, in mostly original condition. I plan to keep the original wheels/hubcaps but would like a little more width and tread on the pavement than the 235/75/15s that are on it. I haven't owned a muscle car since the late 70s and modern tire sizes confuse the hell out of me. That combined with the tight wheel space in the rear has me going in circles trying to figure out who sells what and what fits where. Anybody here got suggestions? Much appreciated in advance.

David

Hello and welcome,

I have the same 235/75 on mine - I believe anything wider will require a wider wheel. I tried to put the wider tires on my 67 and they did not want to go into the rear wheel well opening.

275/60/15 could probably stuff in there on a 15x7 wheel, as long as it is deflated on install. The 15x7 road wheels require a spacer which moves the tire out from the axle and closer to the fender skirt. W

Guest oldblackcat

Thank you Wildcat65. That's the size I'm looking at in a Mickey Thompson S/T. Seems like the rear would fit, barely. I have a new 235/75 Hankook 727 on one side of the front now and even that rubs a bit when I turn sharp so I'm worried about the extra width up there as well. Maybe that loss of one inch in height would help? Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this. These would sure look sharp on the old cat; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6030/overview/

• 3 months later...
Guest oldblackcat

I got this!

post-99025-143142600894_thumb.jpg

Found a set of brand new Kumho 235/75/15s on smoothie rims for $450 on Craigslist. Baby's lookin' so fine!

Hope you're all enjoying your summer ;)

post-99025-143142600868_thumb.jpg

post-99025-143142600878_thumb.jpg

post-99025-143142600886_thumb.jpg