'50--Wheel Alignment Studs and Brake Drum Bolts on just rear wheels?

beerczar1976

Quick one, and this probably applies to multiple years. When I was pulling my left front brake drum I noticed the wheel didn't have an alignment stud like the rears did and the drums were held on by bolts, and somehow, nuts and lock washers that were on the backside of the drum. The nuts/washers fell out of the drum when I loosened them all the way. The front drum and hub didn't appear to be threaded like the rears are. I also noticed the Parts Book doesn't call for front wheel alignment studs, rear only. Lastly, Bob's has the studs for sale, but again in description, lists rear only... Should the front wheels have alignment studs and the small bolts holding the drum in place? My thought was that perhaps they're not needed as the drums seem to stay aligned due to the arrangement of, I guess, the wheel bearing/dust cover that protrudes from the hub centers whereas the rear wheels don't have the same arrangement. My last thought is that the threads on mine have been simply stripped out in which case I just need to re-tap them.

Thanks! I saw a set of used drums on eBay the other day that still had the rivet heads in them. I bet you those were the fronts as you just described. I do remember seeing something about rivets in the Parts Book too, now that you mention it. I was just thinking they were referring to a different part on the wheel/hub assembly somewhere. Now, biggest question; is it imperative that the fronts go back on with a bolt or rivet in place? The wheel studs go right thru the drum and into the hub anyway... Should I be using an alignment stud on the front wheels?

Here's the link to the eBay ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Set-Of-Front-Rear-Brake-Drums-That-Might-Fit-A-1950s-Buick-UPS-Shipping-/111317028186?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19eb030d5a&vxp=mtr

The rivets and guide pin is just a convenience (?) and not really needed, just a bigger pain to get lined up without. Don't buy any used drums unless you can get a measurement. More than likely yours without rivets is less worn.

Willie

Thanks again. Wasn't going to get the drums, but the reference pic was helpful. I'm going to maybe see if I can get my turned. Saw a groove in the front left one, may not be that bad though. Brake shoe friction material was spot on at 3/16" thick though, so somebody's done a brake job on it not all that long ago. I won't bother with the rivets, and if there's threads for the pin, I'll put one in, if not, again won't worry about it.