'70 Buick GS stage one convertible, original garaged 28 years

GS1455

Hello, my name is Pat, I am the lucky owner of a rare muscle car we all dream of. My best friend owned this car for many years and passed away last year. It is equipped with a factory 4 speed option making it even more rare. It is the most fun car I have ever owned, the 455 engine throws the 3600 pound body around like its styrofoam. During this long cold winter I researched the cars history, had it documented and actually found the original owner who is delighted to know that not only the car lives, it is in loving hands. Hope to meet some of you this year at shows, Pat P.S. I tried to attach a photo, I am not computer savvy , lets see

Welcome aboard Pat from Kent WA! Where are you from?

If you want to send me a picture(s), I can post them for you. candjpollak@hotmail.com.

I just picked purchased a 70 stage 1, 4 speed convertible last month. Same owner since 1981, and had been off the road for 15+ years. Just took it for its first drive in the a long time earlier this week. Very fun car!

My car has been in Ohio its whole life. There were only 67 stage one convertibles with a 4 speed in 1970. You should document and register your car. There are phony's out there they say. My car is only the fifth registered authentic survivor in the Stage one registry.If it is the real McCoy it will be the sixth. Does your car have a consolette ?

Pat, I should read more carefully! I see you have joined the NE Ohio group, very good. Maybe we can convince you to bring it to the BPG show August 2nd at National Trail.

Chris has the knowledge and would not own it if it were not the "Real Deal". I look forward to meeting you and seeing the Stage !.

Ted

Edited by Wildcat65 (see edit history)

I have registered mine with Marco as well. I was lucky and was able to order the paperwork from Sloan and get it before purchasing the car. It is a numbers matching car, with build sheet.

Factory Silver (currently white) with a black top and black buckets! PS, Manual drum brakes, consolette, rallye ride control package, forced comfort-flo ventilation, tilt steering and tach and gauges. It also came with 14 inch chrome wheels and red line tires. Same owner since 81, hadn't been run in probably 15+ years when I bought it, have it running and drivable now. Needs to be restored though.

post-40529-143142457736_thumb.jpg

I have joined the BPG as well, hope to make it to Columbus this summer, I sent Chris a pic, lets see if he got it, Pat

Got it Pat, here it is! Car looks real nice!

The BPG show is a lot of fun, I have been back for it several times, although I won't make it this year.

post-40529-143142457741_thumb.jpg

Very nice, fuel system is typically full of sludge at this point, pull tank, check for POBF, mine was taped to the top of tank, flush it out and change pick up sock is in order. I put two inline filters for first 200 gallons. Rebuild brake hydrualics, fuel pump, advance auto parts has a new replacement carter pump that looks like the original for less than fifty bucks. good luck, Pat

You have done all that if it is driving, Mine is diplomat blue, white top pearl int. gauge package, consolette, manual drums, manual steering, rally ride pkg. power windows, dog dishes as the original owner planned on cragar ss wheels from the get go.No air, this car was born to run. His previous car was a 67 442 that his best freind had just slid into a pole in early march right before he ordered this car. Another good friend, front seat passenger, was hospitalized for 30 days. It was a nice call to his insurance man to inform him he had just ordered a stage one GS 455 a few weeks later. I have had fun researching the cars history and most of all driving it. Enjoy Cris, don't make it so nice you can't drive it, Pat

Thanks Pat, I have had my mechanic do all that, and more to get it to where it is driveable. Still doing more things, seems like there is a never ending list. The car had been sitting for a long time and the mice had free run of it, so lots of cleaning up small (and large) messes. Found the POBF on top of the gas tank in really good shape, got lucky the mice never found it.

How is it with the manual brakes and steering and 4 speed? Probably keeps your attention, no extra hands for a cup of coffee, lol! Mine has manual brakes, but does have power steering. No AC makes yours a "1 of 45" built that way, but you probably already knew that.

I tried to email you back, but google mail didn't give me your return email address?

Thanks, Chris

post-40529-143142457921_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is truly a mans car, you wont give these keys to your daughter , no cup holders, no cups, fasten your seat belt, good work out for the chest. I drove truck for 30 years as part of my job, even trucks have power steering since the seventies, I love the car's sound, it is just motor and pipes, no converters or emissions crap, what a great time for a car to be built, It calls me at night... "Pat...... bring the keys " Anyone who owns one knows what I mean, Pat

This is truly a mans car, you wont give these keys to your daughter , no cup holders, no cups, fasten your seat belt, good work out for the chest. I drove truck for 30 years as part of my job, even trucks have power steering since the seventies, I love the car's sound, it is just motor and pipes, no converters or emissions crap, what a great time for a car to be built, It calls me at night... "Pat...... bring the keys " Anyone who owns one knows what I mean, Pat

Lol Pat, I know what you mean! I cleaned mine up a bit this weekend and took it out for several spins. Lots of smiles!

This one is still kind of "rough" compared to my other old Buicks, my daughter wouldn't even go for a ride in it yet. Said we could take one of the other cars. :>( Oh well, I still had fun!

I work on my own car, clutch is 40 yrs. old,trans is leaking at all seals, need to replace springs and shocks, many things need to be done before I can make a long drive, maybe in the future. I am working on it, Pat

I work on my own car, clutch is 40 yrs. old,trans is leaking at all seals, need to replace springs and shocks, many things need to be done before I can make a long drive, maybe in the future. I am working on it, Pat

You would probably have to swap the rear end out too, I can't imagine making a real long drive with 3.64's. A friend of mine drives his 4 speed convert from TX to Bowling Green every year, but he put in 2.56's or something like that. Actually gets high teens to twenty mpg.

Guest gossir00
You would probably have to swap the rear end out too, I can't imagine making a real long drive with 3.64's. A friend of mine drives his 4 speed convert from TX to Bowling Green every year, but he put in 2.56's or something like that. Actually gets high teens to twenty mpg.

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you found a really nice one. Congrats.

Hope you can find one for me!

Oh yes, this car has 4.11's right now, comes off the line like a lion but at 1/4 mi. the motor is screaming at 5 grand plus, no wonder they are known to blow. Even at highway speeds it seems like it is in third, have to change those gears as well, kind of a touchy job, only done a few in my lifetime.

That might be a long shot given the distance separating them. Heck, I still haven't gotten a photo of my own 70 converts together!

Long shots are my favorite. Hope to see your car in Portland at least.

Oh yes, this car has 4.11's right now, comes off the line like a lion but at 1/4 mi. the motor is screaming at 5 grand plus, no wonder they are known to blow. Even at highway speeds it seems like it is in third, have to change those gears as well, kind of a touchy job, only done a few in my lifetime.

wow, I couldn't imagine having 4.11's, the car is so torquey already with the 3.64's. Definitely would be fun for cruising around town though. ;>)

Long shots are my favorite. Hope to see your car in Portland at least.

Well, you will see at least one of my cars in Portland, but it won't be this one. Glad to hear you are coming out though! Let me know if come up to the Seattle area (I am 20 miles south) and you can see it (them)!

• 1 month later...
Guest gossir00
Finally got all of my 70's out at the same time for a photo!

Pat,

Have you been driving yours?

Chris,

WOW. I am very jealous.

Rick

I drive it every chance I get , it was doing this misfire-backfire into exhaust thing when I open the secondaries, everything was reasonably new, tachometer was wacking out, changed points, cond, fuel filters, turned out the coil wire was burned inside boot at cap.Ah, much better now, back to burning rubber and premium fuel, Pat P.S. nice collection !post-99685-143142535343_thumb.jpg post-99685-143142535343_thumb.jpgpost-99685-143142535343_thumb.jpg PP.SS. wow 3 GS ragtops, you are a regular buhog hog aren't you ?

Edited by GS1455
forgot to memtion (see edit history)

Wow Chris, you have 3... You are a regular buhog hog, that must keep you busy, they all look like treasures, Pat

Thanks Pat. Only one Stage car in the bunch though. Plan when I bought the Stage car in March was to sell one of the three, and / or 1 or more of my other Buicks, just haven't gotten to that part of the plan yet. Always more fun to buy them than to sell them, lol!

I have been driving this car around for almost a year and I have just recently seen another GS drive past me the opposite direction, a green convertible, there aren't many around my area that are driven I guess, Pat

I have been driving this car around for almost a year and I have just recently seen another GS drive past me the opposite direction, a green convertible, there aren't many around my area that are driven I guess, Pat

What part of Ohio are you from Pat? There are several Buick guys spread throughout the state, I am surprised you haven't seen more. Ted (Wildcat 65) is from the Cincy area. My black 70 was actually restored by a shop in Mentor OH that specializes in GS's, and it spent time in the Athens area before coming to the Pacific NW.

If there are any running around I have not seen them. I saw a 72' 350 stage 1 convertible at a cruise in last 4th of July and that is about it. I see lots of chevelles, not many buicks period. Seeing one pass me was a relief, too many people ask what kind of car is that? As though they have never seen one before. They weren't uncommon when I was young. I saw a 65' gran sport at a cruise in last week in avon lake, I am west of cleveland, and it was very nice, buick club member and seemed very knowledgeable. There is so much to know and learn about the cars of this era and I have enjoyed learning all I have so far. I am frustrated with this points ignition system, and I am going to replace it original or not, breaker points suck, they are the weakest link in the chain, no doubt about it, Pat