1915 Model K

Hupp36

its hard to believe , 2 bidders do not accept the terms of the sale. So as 3rd person I got the bid on

ebay. The only thing that is missing is the main body, I will post some pic when i get it home. It is about 1 1/2 hrs for where we live. We will pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I really do not need another project, but could not pass this up.I think its going to be a speedster project.

• 2 weeks later...

G,day to all. Hup 36 well done on your recent purchase. In studying the picture there is no doubt that what you have bought is a Hup model N from late 1915 or most likely 1916. Look to the chassis first. Model K have no stiffner brackets in the area of the rear wheel arches or back X member. The chassis No should be on the LHR dumb iron on a plate fixed by rivets.. Now look to the engine. The electrics of mod K are single unit starter generator. Mod N are as shown in the picture with Bijur on early cars, Westinghouse from 75000. The engine number is on the extreme RHS above the generator but it is also on the inside of the crankcase at the LHF. All of the timing chest is an aluminium casting in two pieces with a single front engine mounting. The N cyl bore is 3 3/4 inch. Go to the rear axle housing. Mod K have two ball races side by side in each wheel hub , N have one large bearing per side. There are no reinforcing gusetts on the K differential centre but the N do have them. At the rear of the mod K gearbox the universal joint is as is in a mod 32. There is no flanged joint. Carden blocks take the drive from the gearbox mainshaft to the tailshaft. The N has a flanged uni joint .The engine and the chassis number are never the same but usually within 100 . 60 000 to 63000 are mod N probably made in 1915.May I say forget the speedster project and build a factory type roadster, you will be pleased that you did. Further look up Australian & New Zealand Hup register you should subscribe to it! Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Max, thank you for the help and knowing that The pieces of the car I bought were a Model N instead of a model K which i thought it was. After your explanation of the K engine having a starter, generator single unit while the N has 2 separate units. Its kind of unique that I have 2 Model N Hupps, 1 1916 & 1 1936 621-N We have driven the 1936 over 20,000 since 1991. In a few days I will post a pic of my 1936 621-N. Thank you again for the help. Chuck M

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Back at the winter home, I started to get the frame and running gear ready to install the front axle and rear axle with the springs in place. Well as I was putting all the parts in the storage container before I left for the north, I should have been storing the info on my laptop instead of trying to remember what was there for parts and what was missing. Turned out, missing the rt. front spindle and the 2 rear hubs.I will place an add in the Hupp parts locator that our club provides for the members and maybe find the parts I need. If not I can use early model R as I have them complete with front & rear axles, wheels & tires. Plus the center of gravity will be lower on the speedster as the wheels are smaller diameter on the model R than the N. Boy this is fun.