63 Riviera Brake booster needed

Guest cwheelin

Guest cwheelin

I see that most people use a 1967 booster to run a dual set up but being I am not mechanically inclined I have this at a shop saying they tried to rebuild it but its too far gone. Does anyone know where I can get a booster for the single master cylinder? Or is that much more work to add a dual master cylinder that is drum/drum? Thanks in advance

Guest Kaber

If your going to drive it, PUT ON A DUAL MASTER CYLINDER!!!! Boosted Dewey's is Awesome I'm sure he can get you a Booster. I bought a dual master cyl from O'Reiliys for a 67 drum/drum car. You have to match the cyl to the booster (Moraine or Bendix) Dewey's can tell you which one you will get. It is really easy and well worth it!

Kaber

Guest clamshells

Besides changing the master cylinder to a dual reservoir what else needs to be changed? Brake lines? Proportioning valve? Perhaps the OP and myself could benefit from more info.............

Guest cwheelin
Rock Auto shows that they have them available for your '63.

Ed

Thanks Ed, might have to but wow they want a $300 core charge and $207 for a rebuilt one.

I have to talk to my mechanic about the specifics. He said there was a vacuum leak and that the internals are too far gone to rebuild. So I just wanted to see from everyone else's experience on time and know how of doing the dual set up. Roughly just wanted to know how long something like this would take and what extra parts are needed. Sure I would want to but he is working on my car as a favor as he doesnt like working on these old cars but I known him for some time. Its really kind of hard sometimes to find a shop that will work on a vintage car as most shops want just a quick easy job to get the cars in and out

Guest cwheelin

Im going to call booster dewey as well but it sucks as mine will only be given 1/2 credit for a core charge. Im also hoping my mechanic will be ok with the dual set up as I am trying to go these route by just finding a replacement

Guest Kaber

I just did this job on my 63. I had alot of help from this board, especially Jim Cannon. I will outline for you how I did it. I did not need a booster so I reused my old one.

- I bought both Master cylinders from the parts store. One for the bendix Booster and one for the Moraine booster. and matched my booster.

-(Optional) I ordered a complete line kit and hoses from Inline tube.

-The rub on the 63 is that the brake light switch in in the Master cylinder. so it needs to pe placed in line to get pressure when using the brakes. The wires even reach the new switch location.

-I Tee'd the line to the rear brakes. I ran a new hard line (Fabricated) to the back res. of the Master Cylinder and put the old brake switch in the remaining tee. I the plumbed the front res. brake line (Fabricated) to the original tee to feed the front brakes and plugged the fitting going to the back with a pipe plug.

-Then bleed the system and return the M/C you didn't use to the parts store for credit.

-the ONLY fabrication is the (2) brake lines coming friom the M/C to the tees that feed the front and rear half of the brake system. There are no brakckets needed for the 63. No welding needed either!

-A shop could do all the install work for you I would guess for around $300?

Hope this helps!

Tim

Thanks Ed, might have to but wow they want a $300 core charge and $207 for a rebuilt one.

Normally you pay the core charge until you return your old one then you get the $300 back. Total cost should only be the $207 in the end after you've returned your old one.

Actually saw on Ebay the other day the kit to rebuild the booster. First time I have ever seen this. As most members have said in past they have never seen any rebuild kits available so I was surprised. Up here in Toronto the local NAPA store has told me a place to take mine for rebuilding. I will post later if they do and what cost was.