Hub Cap Emblem

dship

Hey folks,

Question: Are the Reatta "R" hub cap emblems the same size for the 88-90 15" wheel as that of the 91 16" wheel?

The "R" emblem is the same for all years. The emblem was never available as an individual part, only with the hub cap. Vendors have been selling them over the years and the only source most of us agree on is the emblem manufacturer must have scrapped extras/overruns and those are what is being sold.

At least 10 years back I talked to a swap meet vendor that had tubs of various plastic emblems and while he would not give a clue where he got them he said he had many more at home. I ask about the Reattas and he dug into the tubs and came up with 2-3 but they were defects...missed or missing the chrome or other colors. He claimed he had more at home and I gave him a card and never heard from him again. Never say him at any other swap meets.

You know, while there seems to be a supply of NOS still around (but clearly shrinking vs. A few years ago) I wonder how costly it would be to reproduce these? Car Motorsports sells repro hood emblems for about $65 each. These are more complex as they are chrome plated metal with baked glass enamel for the black and amber portions. I believe they were the one who commissioned the reproduction, though there are vendors selling these now.

The wheel emblems are plastic (polycarbonate?) and have a translucent amber/opaque black layer with what I assume to be metal vapor deposition or hot stamp process for the chrome. It would be nice if we could get these reproduced eventually as there will be a need. It is also a part that would benefit nearly all owners (with stock wheels anyway).

KDirk

John,

Correct on that. The issue is what process was used to apply the chrome layer. There are a few ways of doing chrome (or what looks like chrome) on plastic. If these were to be reproduced at some point it would be helpful to know how it was done. I suspect hot stamping given the appearance and durability. Pressure vapor deposition is an entirely different process and is now used on aluminum wheels to get a chrome look without the downsides of real chrome plating process.

KDirk

Guest HessLakeGuy

Barney

I remember at the Dallas, TX meet ten years ago a guy had a bucket about half full of the hubcap emblems. At the end of the meet he had a lot less of them because lots of us bought some.

Tom