Fuel pump needed

davidyavidy

Guest 39 Pickup

A few yeas ago I had a 1964 Lincoln and I bought a new fuel pump from NAPA at a reasonable price. Don't know if they still have them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If they do you save on shipping and have the pump in your hads immediately.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. Had already tried them only to find out they want $195 + S&H. Was hoping to find somebody with more reasonable pricing. Someone else suggested NAPA but my local store didn't even have a listing for that application, so I brought them the pump and they were able to find an equivalent for around $110. Haven't talked to the owner as of yet, but I know he doesn't want to spend any money. I'll keep looking. Thank you for your response.

My local NAPA store didn't have a listing for that application, so I removed the pump and brought it to them. Using the stamping numbers, they were able to find an equivalent for around $110. It's now up to the owner to spend the money or not. Lincoln Land wanted $195 + S&H.

Guest 65Starfire

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I will bet you NAPA gave you a Federal Mougel like the ones shown below. THEY WILL NOT WORK. The correct pump should be a carter with the vapor return valve & line, supply connection in the dome and attachment studs for the heat shield. The line from the screw in filter to the carb needs to be a hard line as well. If you do not use this the car will vapor lock. The fuel pump sits in a stream of hot air from the radiator and the vapor return line keeps gas vapor from building up and locking the pump. Also the supply lines are routed through a tube of foam insulation from the fire will to the pump.post-75845-143142454281_thumb.jpg

If you have the correct carter pump, just call Then and Now and order a kit and rebuild it.

Then & Now Automotive

447 Washington St

Weymouth, MA. 02188

Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm EST

781-335-8860 ****781-335-1579

Anytime by Fax: 781-335-1925

Lisa Pawlik - General Manager

Mike Casella - Machine Shop Manager

Tony Scopelleti - Parts Counter

Jack Lynch - Research

Tom Hannaford - Early Parts Counter

post-75845-143142454225_thumb.jpg

post-75845-143142454255_thumb.jpg

Guest 65Starfire

I thought we were talking about a 64. I didn't go far enough back on the thread. But I can tell you why they added it!

To 65Starfire:

The owner of the '58 Mark III hasn't ok'd spending the funds yet, so haven't ordered anything from NAPA yet. Thanks for the Then & Now suggestion. I'll contact them and see what they have to say. I've had the pump completely disassembled, and the components don't look worn at all as the owner says he replaced the pump about a year ago. The problem seems to be lack of stroke length. On the bench, the pump provides good vacuum and pressure, but on the vehicle both are very poor. There seems to be some play between the actuator arm and the diaphragm pull rod even though the parts don't seem worn at all. The push rod is the correct 4 7/8" length and the eccentric has about a 3/8" lift. The problem is that about one third of the lift is used just to take up the slack before the diaphragm even starts moving. If I could install a slightly longer rod to take up the slack, maybe all would be well. This is what I'll share with Then & Now and see what they suggest. Keep you posted.

David A. Johnson

Guest 65Starfire

It sounds like the pump lever is worn or the pivot pin for the arm is worn. Could also be generic parts in the pump remanufacture causing poor performance. Them and now have supplied me with top quality parts and they have great technical info on these pumps. Good luck and keep us posted.