1955 buick special, dual exhaust???

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

Hey guys once again I am calling on the more experienced minds to tell me how to run a dual exhaust system in a 1955 Buick special with the 322 nailhead. I see the original setup has a crossover tube that follows down to a Y connector. What's the best way to accomplish true dual?

Edited by 38buick55special (see edit history)

Hey guys once again I am calling on the more experienced minds to tell me how to run a dual exhaust system in a 1955 Buick special with the 322 nailhead. I see the original setup has a crossover tube that follows down to a Y connector. What's the best way to accomplish true dual?

Buy a fitty six....

just kidding re the previous post. I posted it and went looking for pictures of a 54 that had been converted but could not find them. I had planned to do it to a 54 Special hot rod. You need to be on the look out for a stock 1956 dual exhaust set up. I had the prettiest set that looked like nos but sold them when I decided not to go the hot rod route. You can find them but expect to pay anywhere between 2-400 for a set of nice clean ones. You will need to route an exhaust pipe around the brake master cylinder and that is what I had a picture of. i will look again. It can be done but is not easy.

Do you want true Duel exhaust or do you want two tail pipes? My car had duals at one time. They butchered my frame by the brake booster and the rear left frame. I repaired mine but made it just like the other side.

post-50945-143142451882_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142451885_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142451888_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314245189_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142451892_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142451903_thumb.jpg

Guest 38buick55special

No disrespect to anyone but there is no way I am cutting my rails for dual exhaust. I would rather keep it stock in that case, but what about routing around the master?? Do you have to cut the frame?? Anyone have pictures of this?

The question, is true dual exhaust on a 54-55 worth the effort? Gains in hp worth the time, money and effort? Better sound? Looks?

YES

Testosterone effect.
Indeed. And plenty of it
LoL Personally I was always a fan of the balao class subs.

Personally........ post-31987-143142454085_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Do you want true Duel exhaust or do you want two tail pipes? My car had duals at one time. They butchered my frame by the brake booster and the rear left frame. I repaired mine but made it just like the other side.

Dude once again you amaze me. NICE JOB!!! turned a sow's ear into a silver purse here ya did. You should consider putting those pieces on the market. Of course your hourly labor rate would probably turn out to be about $2.00 an hour but......

A single Hush-Power muffler will probably get the sound you want. I rarely see any of my tach-equiped vehicles go above 3500 RPM so a second pipe would be appearance.

And I'll bite my tongue and not give a comment on where the Waldron's pipe would run.

Then there is the "Ready to leave Cruise-In:

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Thought I could help. Then I re-read your post. "true dual". No, but here's what's under my '55:

post-92541-143142454722_thumb.jpg

Reading the other posts, it sounds like this is better than butchering the left side of the frame or running the tubes _below_ the frame...

post-92541-14314245472_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

1956 peak horsepower is at roughly 4500 RPM. The tach on the column barely exceeds 3500 under normal driving, just like Bernie's. Maybe 4000 in Low... You'd probably be better off converting to a 3-speed than dual exhaust if you're looking for HP gains.