Help! Who knows what make, model & year of this car?

Guest Mackack10

Guest Mackack10

Hi everyone- firstly, I have little knowledge about cars, so identifying this antique vehicle is impossible for me. I figure if this car can be identified, it will be by someone on this thread. I apologize for the poor photo, but I do know the picture was shot on Long Island, NY somewhere between 1901 & 1917. From photos on the internet, Fiats & Cadillacs from 1911-13 look similar, but I really don't have a clue. Any help/information is truly appreciated!

post-100041-143142451267_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I was convinced either, but I thought it might get the discussion started. Having said that, I can't think of any other car with headlights set that high at the moment. :confused: :(

Terry

Guest Mackack10
I wonder if this picture has been touched up a bit. The lines around the doors seem odd and maybe the line of the front fender has been altered. It could be an early Chevrolet Baby Grand or a 1913/14 Buick.

The car itself was definitely not touched up- comes from an original photo. However, the background has been blurred vignette style. Thank you everyone for your help! I'm hoping the car can ultimately be identified, but it is a daunting task.

The front and rear fenders on the blue car look different. The front fenders look flat, but the rear fenders look to have a crown on them.

I think that's just the light and shadow of the body playing on the rear fender. Look more toward the rear of the rear fender and it looks more flat there.

Guest Commodore

I am thinking that the hood is from a different car. The downward break on the hood doesn't match the cowl and the hood is a different color then the rest of the car.

It was not uncommon in the brass era to have the hood,fenders and splash aprons a different color than the body. I would date the car around 1913 or 14 as it clearly has electric lights.

It was around the same time that cowl lines and hood lines didn't necessarily line up as well. I've been looking at the doors - they are very narrow, and the fact that the front fenders drop straight down and the rear edge of the rear fenders goes straight out. Haven't found anything yet with those points.

Terry

It was around the same time that cowl lines and hood lines didn't necessarily line up as well. I've been looking at the doors - they are very narrow, and the fact that the front fenders drop straight down and the rear edge of the rear fenders goes straight out. Haven't found anything yet with those points.

Terry

I haven't found anything with those points either. Another possibility, the lights may be an aftermarket item added later to a 1910 to 12 car? Dandy Dave!

Guest Mackack10

Thanks everyone for your help! DandyDave, one of the closest I've come to the car is an Italian Fiat- though the door shape was ever-so-slightyl different, so it is possible it may not be an American car.

What are your thoughts about a Pierce Arrow?

I looked at the Pierce Arrows. But the lights are totally different being that they are incorporated in the fenders in 1914. The 1913 models are lower than the lights in the photo. Dandy Dave!

Guest prs519

I think the front fenders have been modified substantially from the type on the OP/Hupmobile. Cowl length seems similar to Hupp pictured, and my imagination says (however slight), that the hood has a falling away panel, but obscured by the light reflection and minimized by the viewing angle. Admit my evidence is all questionable.

Guest prs519

I think you may have found it, after all. I see nothing to count against this Henderson, not even the paint scheme.