Where can I find Auto Redbug Clincher Tires

Guest redbug2

Guest redbug2

Hello,

I have an old Auto Redbug with a 39 Sachs moped engine that has been in the family since the 40's. My father tells me that it has Clincher tires. 20 x 2. Where can I find replacement tires for the Redbug?

Thanks,

redbug2

Try Googling "Bill Miller Auto Red Bug". He is apparently from Ann Arbor, MI, has a restored electric Auto Red Bug. I found YouTube video that shows the car and a close-up of a tire, but I couldn't read the brand name. We saw some of these little cars on Jekyll Island, GA recently, where they had been used in the 1920s and 1930s. Maybe you can track down Bill Miller and find out where he got his new tires.

Guest redbug2
Are you sure they're clinchers. Sounds like 20 inch bicycle tires

Well, I'm not 100% sure. I think I'm going to cut one off and have a look. http://williampowell.net/fullhtm/redbugfl/redbug4.htm

Though, I have seen redbugs that were restored and the new owners put on newer rims..

Here's a page a created a while ago, some pictures of somebodys nice redbug and my weathered redbug at the bottom. It was sitting on my grandfathers porch for about 30 years.

http://williampowell.net/pages/redbug.htm

Edited by redbug2 (see edit history)

Hello all.

If I remember correctly the originals were clincher 20 x 2, however many Red Bugs, Briggs & Stratton have had replacement rims replaced with non clincher. Personally I have a set of each.

Jed Rappaport assembled a very large display of Red Bug at a past AACA national meet there should be pictures on this site somwhere.

If anybody out there has extra Red Bug Parts. Drop me a line.

Thanks Fred D

58Mustang is giving you good advise. If the sides of the rim are flat, then they are modern style bike rims but if the sides roll inward they are clincher. Another hint if you have original rims is the spoke count - Your front rims should have 32 spokes while your back rims should have 36. if they are the original clincher rims the tires are no longer available. Coker did have tires but they are no longer in stock and despite my begging them, they said they will not make any more.

If enough of us Red Bug folks ask, perhaps Coker would reconsider.

I own about 8 Red Bugs so if you need any help with your car or want more information just drop me an email: info@auto-motives.com

redbug2: I looked at the web site you posted and you have a lot of issues to deal with on your car but in the photos with the modified motor contraption on the back I see original wheels.

If your "Red Bug" originally had a fifth wheel or motor wheel mounted on it then you don't have a Red Bug. Most Red Bugs where electric powered. Most powered by gas motor wheels were Briggs & Stratton Flyers. I also own a few of these and have lots of research files, so get in touch and I will gladly help you.

Guest redbug2
redbug2: I looked at the web site you posted and you have a lot of issues to deal with on your car but in the photos with the modified motor contraption on the back I see original wheels.

If your "Red Bug" originally had a fifth wheel or motor wheel mounted on it then you don't have a Red Bug. Most Red Bugs where electric powered. Most powered by gas motor wheels were Briggs & Stratton Flyers. I also own a few of these and have lots of research files, so get in touch and I will gladly help you.

Well, the nameplate says Auto Redbug.... The boards in the back have the engine brace holes. http://williampowell.net/images/redbug/engine_mount.jpg

My Grandfather told me he got it from an estate owner in Long Island. The owners son had the redbug with the fifth wheel. He said the son would always wear out tires. Unfortunately he did not get the fifth wheel with the car.

32 spokes on each wheel.