Too many Sticky's

MrEarl

I have had several members complaining that there are too many Sticky's up top in the General forum and I certainly agree. They are most noticeable when viewed on a Smartphone or Ipad. I am looking at ways to shorten these. The most outstanding is I am seeing that over half of the threads are for meets, tours and other events. I am seeking members thoughts about possibly adding a new Meets and Tours Forum or a Sub-forum within the General Forum for it. You can see how the "sub-forum" approach works by looking at AACA's forum list. If the response is unanimously for it then I will need to ask Peter G the site administrator to consider doing this for us. I know he is not typically in favor of adding new forums or sub-forums but hopefully if there is enough positive input he will see it's value.

Please respond with your opinions and or thoughts of other ways to fix the problem. THANKS

Lamar,

before I even read down to your idea of creating a seperate sub-forum I thought "create a subforum". So I agree that that is the route to take. In fact I think the AACA has a similar sub forum. Can't sticky everything. In fact it might hurt the stickied items because the first thing I do when I click on General is get my mouse ready to scroll down fast to the most recent threads. In other words I go right past the stickys giving them short shrift.

Yes its a sticky situation alright. If there is reluctance to add another sub-forum, then consider replacing the Opel forum with a meets/tours forum. The Opel forum is underwhelmingly used and the meets and tours forum would serve a much greater number of members. The few Opel enthusiasts might be less that enthused with this but the numbers tell all. 36 threads compared to the next lowest active Buick forum which is 1916.

That would take care of 8 of the 15. Rules is a good one. (I never read it.) And maybe Introduce Yourself would be better in Me and My Buick. I would just like to find the most recent post quickly.

Scanning down the right hand side reading sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, Oh! here's the new one doesn't draw one's attention to to the sticky topics.

Bernie

Instead of "Meets and Tours Forum" or a "Sub-forum" I would have a locked sticky thread with links to event threads. Any new posts in those linked threads go to the top

We even have 2 rules stickys' They could be combined

There are 4 on the 2014 National meet. Why not have 1 (locked) master thread with links to the 4 other threads?

This is more of a general thread, and Buick specific:- http://forums.aaca.org/f115/re-sizin...se-355876.html. Some of the others like books are general interest. Other forum's I visit often have a (locked) master thread that only has the links to useful other threads

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Only 2 sticky threads in http://forums.aaca.org/f115/ now and the new Buick Meets and Tours forum

Where have the old sticky threads gone? Fallen to the bottom?

One travel forum I visit has a limit of 4 sticky threads per forum heading

and by the way, THANKS EVERYBODY for your input and help with determining the fix for this. I was glad to see it be made a Forum vs a sub-forum since as Willie pointed out a new post will now appear to the right and be more visible, at least until it is superseded with another. And JohnD I requested it be named Meets, Shows and Tours as you had suggested but I see that didn't fly. For sake of consistency with the AACA heading I understand. But hey, I'm HAPPY:D

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

"Buick - Meets & Tours" is not linked from the BCA website (yet). I find it easier to access the forums from there than scroll through all the AACA stuff. Also I'm not likely to go the that site looking for new posts. Maybe post first in BCA General (non sticky) and also in Buick - Meets & Tours (sticky) and remove time sensitive posts after expiration.

Willie

..from the BCA website (yet). I find it easier to access the forums from there than scroll through all the AACA stuff.

< snip >

Buick - Meets & Tours (sticky) and remove time sensitive posts after expiration.

On the main http://forums.aaca.org/forum.php page you can click the right hand arrows to hide the forums you do not read. My browser remeber's to hide these hidden sub forums

I only have these open (and the images closed)

AACA GENERAL DISCUSSION

BUICK CLUBS

OLDSMOBILE CLUBS

As the posts in "Buick - Meets & Tours" are not sticky they will naturally fall to the bottom if no one posts to them. To me deleting threads/posts is not a good idea

What is funny about this is the rote learning I have exhibited over the last few years. Since the change I have automatically STILL hit the 3rd sub-column thinking it is Buy/Sell and now I am in Me and My Buick. Ha! At first I thought, what happened to FOR SALE and WANTED. Then I saw I was in ME AND MY BUICK.

You guys have some nice Buicks, I should stick around.

I am a trained monkey.

• 2 weeks later...