1928 Big 6 valve keeper wanted

I am looking for one valve keeper for a big 6 engine. A previous owner had installed one odd valve and cut/welded the keeper to make it fit.

I have attached a picture of the keeper next to an original big 6 valve, new valves have now been ordered from Egge, so it is just the keeper that is required

If anyone has one please get in touch with a price

Regards Wayne

post-49329-143142450801_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Keep us up to date with your experience with Egge.

How much did you finally pay?

When you ask for parts on this forum,spend some time to get the part numbers for the desired part.

Most vendors stock parts by part number.

I may have the valves you needed but I need part numbers to find them in my 38.000 sq/ft building.

Our expert in Big Six engines is Bob Burk in Arizona. Email me for contact info.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Robert thanks for the reply, I am asking on behalf of a friend who does not use a computer much. He recently bought a 1928 GB Commander. I have looked in my Studebaker parts book and the valves are original part number 115388, this is for the type with a single groove for the keeper. The keepers are originally part number 115391.

He spoke with Egge a couple of days ago and they informed him that they don't have any in stock but they are going to make a batch which will take a couple of weeks. From memory he said that they were between $30 and $40 each, I can't remember exactly. I am not sure if he has actually placed the order but I can find out.

Egge don't do the keepers and he only requires one so if you have on that would be great.

As for Bob Burk, I will send you a PM for his details as I also have a big 6 albeit a 1926 roadster, which needs a lot of work!!

Regards

Wayne

Guest 32stude

I have some extra valve keepers from 1931 Studebaker Six model 54. They might fit. I'd be glad to send you one

Vince 917 562 8369

• 1 month later...
I have some extra valve keepers from 1931 Studebaker Six model 54. They might fit. I'd be glad to send you one

Vince 917 562 8369

Vince I never realised you had replied I will give you a call tomorrow.

In the meantime does anyone else have a valve keeper for a 1928 Big 6, as pictured above, or does anyone know if the 1931 model 54, Vince mentions, is the same?

Regards Wayne

Not a Studebaker guy, but, I have a book on motor parts, Is the 1928 big six a Commander or a Dictator?

The big 6 is the engine used in the 1928 GB Commander, the dictator has the smaller engine

Wayne

According to my book, only the 28 Commander President and the 29 Commander Six are the same.

The big 6 engine was used for many years, from the mid teens,I think, with minor alterations. The valve keepers on earlier engines were a pin, whereas the later engines had the pressed metal keeper pictured above, which is the type required. Only one is needed.

The big 6 stopped being used in the GH commander in 1929, the other Commander in 1929 was the GJ which had the smaller engine.

Wayne