Confession time

50jetback

Well after being a hard core Prewar Buick person ( except for the modern 1950 Jetback ) I have succumbed to the lure of a nailhead!

I've been restoring a 1936 Century Convertible Coupe over the past 4 years and had always taken the view that when it was completed I should probably sell one of my cars. I don't have a museum, I have cars I drive so couldn't really justify keeping my 1934 Series 40 Roadster AND a 1936 Century Convertible Coupe.

So according to plan I recently advertised the 34 Roadster for sale and it has now gone to a new home ( well it will when I receive the final payment soon ).

Then fate stepped in and this found its way into my shed!!

post-31244-143142450077_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450081_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450085_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450088_thumb.jpg

post-31244-14314245009_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450093_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450095_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142450098_thumb.jpg

Very Nice !!

That's a rare one you've snagged !! only 3527 Super convertibles

http://www.buicks.net/years/55.shtml

<center style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]1955 Buick Production Figures[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SPECIAL SERIES55spec.jpg

Model 41-Four-Door Tourback Sedan.............................84,182

Model 43-Four-Door Riviera....................................66,409

Model 46C-Convertible Coupe...................................10,009

Model 46R-Two-Door Riviera...................................155,818

Model 48-Two-Door Tourback Sedan..............................61,879

Model 49-Estate Wagon..........................................2,952

Model 410-Stripped Chassis.........................................1

Model 411-Stripped Chassis.......................................696[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SUPER SERIES

Model 52-Four-Door Sedan......................................43,280

Model 56C-Convertible Coupe....................................3,527

Model 56R-Two-Door Riviera....................................85,656

Model 520-Stripped Chassis.........................................1

Model 521-Stripped Chassis.......................................744[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CENTURY SERIES55cent.jpg

Model 61-Four-Door Tourback Sedan.............................13,269

Model 63-Four-Door Riviera....................................55,088

Model 66C-Convertible Coupe....................................5,588

Model 66R-Two-Door Riviera....................................80,388

Model 68-Two-Door Tourback Sedan.................................270

Model 69-Estate Wagon..........................................4,243[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ROADMASTER SERIES55rm.jpg

Model 72-Four Door Sedan.......................................31,717

Model 76C-Convertible Coupe.....................................4,739

Model 76R-Two Door Riviera.....................................28,071

Model 720-Stripped Chassis..........................................1

Model 721-Stripped Chassis........................................336[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

</center><center style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">Total Production...............................738,814</center>

It's a very nice car, I've seen it and been for a drive in it. And fate --- being in the right place at the right time. Tell them the background story Stuart, especially the location.

Thanks all for the positive comments about my purchase, it certainly keeps the " buyers remorse " at bay.

Well as Bhambulldog pointed out these are rare models in the USA. In Australia they are almost non existent and you could probably count the total number of 50's Buick convertibles in this country on your hands and toes. Very occasionally you see a 1950's convertible advertised for sale but it is generally a Special and in need of restoration.

The previous owner of this car contacted my local Buick Club through our website and advised he had the car and intended to sell it as he was selling up and moving to Tasmania. An East Coast Auction Company had given an appraisal and advised what reserve he should put on the car and it was to be listed for the next auction.

Perth Western Australia is the most isolated capital city in the world so this means logistical problems and expense if you are going to send a car to auction on the other side of the country so the seller offered his car to local club members at the auction reserve ( which was very realistic ).

I live in a semi rural area in the hills east of Perth called Darlington. It's a relatively small community and you tend to know what cars are around the area, especially the Buick brand. When the details of this car were circulated I was amazed to see the seller had listed his address as Darlington! I was certain if such a rare Buick was anywhere near me I would have known about it.

I responded to the advertisement asking for photos ( the ones I have posted on line ) and made the comment that I also lived in Darlington and had never seen the car around ( not the sort of car you would forget seeing down the local store ). I received an instant response and an explanation that the seller had owned the car for 2 years but most of that time it had been in storage while he was working in the USA. Then the clincher, he gave me his address which if not for trees on the neighbouring properties I could see from my back patio!

So I was looking at the car very shortly after, told him what I could offer and arranged to have Rooster come with me to have a closer examination the following day and get it onto another mates hoist to examine the underside. That all happened, there were some issues with dirty/stale fuel but apart from that the car was exceptional. By then the phone was running hot with other club members inquiring about the car so it was off home for a serious discussion with " she who must be obeyed " and a phone call back confirming my offer.

My recollection of the discussion with wife Delys was that I was allowed to make the offer to buy, she is not as convinced she agreed!

The car has now had the tank dropped and cleaned, fuel lines, carby and fuel pump all cleaned and is running like a charm.

It's known history in this country is it was imported back in the late 90's and was owned by a Victorian Club member until sold at auction at the end of 2011. The purchaser had it freighted to Perth and it was registered here in March 2012.

The ID plate shows it was assembled in Atlanta Georgia and it has a BCA sticker on the windscreen along with its last US registration sticker for the state of North Carolina 1998. Someone with a mid 90's BCA roster may be able to ID the previous US owner.

Having only now researched 1955 Buicks I don't understand why a Super was produced in 1955. As far as I can see everything about the 1955 Supers made them a Roadmaster - Same chassis, same engine ( also shared with the Century ) same power options, same dash. The only difference I have come across is a variation on trim, hubcaps and a gold coloured hood mascot.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Very nice!

you will need to add it to your signature...

speaking of signatures, I would love to see some pictures of the UL-74!

Just happen to have some photos of the UL-74 handy. One with me as a scrawny 16 year old, another a bit later and a 3rd after its last rebuild.

Hope the Buick crowd will indulge us for straying off topic, but heck both Harleys and Buicks grew up together since 1903!

post-31244-143142453134_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142453137_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142453141_thumb.jpg