Some "Times" you need a little help from your friends.. Straight 8 Timing

Guest Thuff51

Guest Thuff51

Straight 8 Gurus,

First off thank you all for your previous help on the electrical issue, gas tank, hunting down Dynaflow inspection cover etc. With your help I’ve finally got my 1951 Buick running! Nothing like the sound of a Straight 8!

This leads me to my next question. This is my first non SBC car so I’m a little unsure how to time it. I see the window in the bell housing and have identified the timing mark but if someone could list me a brief step-by-step guide on timing that would be great. I have a manual but little tough to make out the process.

Details: 1951 Buick Special with Dynaflow.

Thank you

Tyler

Well, for one thing is it 6V or 12V? If it's still 6V you'll need to power your timing light from a separate 12V battery (assuming you are using a modern timing light.)

Just clip to #1 plug wire and time it like usual.

First be sure the points gap is set because that will affect the timing. This is from memory: there should be a TDC mark and a separate timing mark on the flywheel. Disconnect and plug vacuum advance, set the idle speed according to the book, loosen the distributor clamp bolts, and slowly twist the distributor as needed until the mark lines up with the pointer while shining your flashing timing light on the flywheel through the timing window. Make sure you're looking at it straight on. The idle speed will probable change so you may have to re-adjust the idle after hitting the timing mark, then check the timing again. If you have a dial-advance timing light you can set it for the number of degrees on the dial and double check against the TDC mark. This feature is also useful to find the timing mark if it's so far out that it doesn't show in the window. You can turn the dial to find out just where it is currently.

When done setting it, tighten the distributor clamp bolts, reconnect the vacuum advance, and readjust idle speed.

Edited by Wheelnut (see edit history)

Guest Thuff51

Great thank you. This is a 6volt. One additional question does the vacuum advance need to be plugged once removed from carb for proper timing?

Well, for one thing is it 6V or 12V? If it's still 6V you'll need to power your timing light from a separate 12V battery (assuming you are using a modern timing light.)

Just clip to #1 plug wire and time it like usual.

First be sure the points gap is set because that will affect the timing. This is from memory: there should be a TDC mark and a separate timing mark on the flywheel. Disconnect and plug vacuum advance, set the idle speed according to the book, loosen the distributor clamp bolts, and slowly twist the distributor as needed until the mark lines up with the pointer while shining your flashing timing light on the flywheel through the timing window. Make sure you're looking at it straight on. The idle speed will probable change so you may have to re-adjust the idle after hitting the timing mark, then check the timing again. If you have a dial-advance timing light you can set it for the number of degrees on the dial and double check against the TDC mark. This feature is also useful to find the timing mark if it's so far out that it doesn't show in the window. You can turn the dial to find out just where it is currently.

When done setting it, tighten the distributor clamp bolts, reconnect the vacuum advance, and readjust idle speed.

The vacuum line should be plugged to help it to idle slow enough. Otherwise it may want to idle too fast or may idle rough.

Actually, if you can get it to idle well at about 300 rpm then you can leave the vacuum advance connected. This should be slow enough that the vacuum and centrifugal advances are not affecting the timing.