BCA Board of Directors Election - 2014

MrEarl

This thread is for BCA members seeking election or re-election to the BOD to post some information about themselves and their views of the current state of the club and issues within the club they plan to give attention to if elected. It is primarily for the candidates to state their platform and views but is open for discussion among members and candidates. Please keep comments factual, objective and polite.

Guest Jerry Courson

I am running for re-election to the board of directors. I have served approximately 3 1/2 years (one term plus an appointment after a resignation). My work background is financial and management. My five Buicks range from a '28 to a '55. My BCA priorities include:

Continuing improvement in communications - The board needs to directly communicate with the chapters and the membership.

Long-term planning - Except for National Meets, BCA planning is limited to 12 months or less. We need longer term direction.

Declining membership - We must actively address the declining membership. Will the BCA naturally reach and maintain a membership level? How can we continue to make the club attractive.

Financial management - The BCA is financially sound. This trend must continue as a major goal.

Parking at National Meets - This issue should be addressed to the satisfaction of the membership.

National Meet Committee - This committee is gaining experience in managing national meets. Close monitoring must continue.

I am going to take Mr. Earl's advice to heart and keep this factual, objective, and polite. I would like to address Mr. Courson's campaign platform line by line and hopefully we can get some clarification from where he is coming from. #1 - continuing improvement in communication. This organization has a very effective tool for doing just that - it's called the Bugle. WHY isn't the management of this club using this to tell the membership what is going on? and WHY? #2 - long term planning. WHY is everything but national meets limited to just one year? (refer to #1 above) #3 - declining membership. In a national meet situation where the general public comes on to the show field to view the automobiles on display, this club becomes very unfriendly spectator-wise. WHY do I say that you ask? When the viewing public is asked to tramp all over creation to see the vehicles on display, they will ask themselves 'DID I SEE EVERYTHING?' This is not putting a very friendly face on this organization and I personally can understand someone being hesitant to sign on to such a group if they are treated in a manner like this. Would any reasonable thinking individual really want to subject themselves to this type of attitude. Sometimes things that are not said out in the open speak louder than any spoken words. I have heard this old line bantered about for as long as I have been in this club. #4 - financial management. As long as the books balance what is the problem. My understanding is that this is NOT a profit making enterprise up to a point. #5 - parking at national meets. Talk about a divisive issue in this organization. I am vehemently opposed to treating members like red headed, left-handed, step-children. If I am going to bring a car to a national meet I want to set my vehicle down along side the same era of vehicles as mine. (refer to the declining membership plank - treat folks like this and they won't come back - I wouldn't!). Mr. Courson, I am asking you right here and now - WHAT IS YOUR STANCE ON THIS ISSUE? HOW you answer will determine whether you get my and my wife's vote! #6 - national meet committee. I feel that there needs to be somebody(s) setting up and making arrangements as to the physical site where a national meet is going to take place. What is your position on this Mr. Courson? Everything that you have outlined here are valid points to consider. I am just not seeing anything in your post that tells anyone what you personally feel or think about the items you list. I personally like the fact that you say you own a 1928 Buick - HOWEVER, that is not reason enough to vote for someone who allowed a situation like what happened in South Bend to go unaddressed. What say you Mr. Courson?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas America

HOWEVER, that is not reason enough to vote for someone who allowed a situation like what happened in South Bend to go unaddressed. What say you Mr. Courson?

Terry Wiegand

Terry,

For clarification, Jerry was appointed after the South Bend meet. He replaced Mark Lob, who resigned for personal reasons. Jerry was appointed by the BOD because he was the next one in the vote count. Mr. Courson may still comment, as he was on the BOD preceding this dust up with the parking. But to my knowledge he was not as active on the South Bend parking matter as other BOD members and appointed or salaried individuals.

Guest Jerry Courson

Terry - Thanks for responding. Here are my responses:

Communications - Most communications from the board are records of actions taken - not official minutes, but similar. Frankly, while I spent a year as secretary forwarding these items for posting, I do not believe most of it is worthy of space in the Bugle. The Bugle should be reserved for articles about cars. Near the end of my term, action items were also distributed to Directors for distribution to members without e-mail addresses.

Long-Term Planning - The nature of National Meets forces planning a few years in advance. To obtain quality sites, 3 years out, is a good rule to follow. The day-to-day business of the BCA is managed very short term. The longest term planning item is the annual budget. I would like to change this process and force a look ahead - 3 to 5 years. I would project the direction of the club and perhaps improve the outcome. Specifically, I don't know why operational issues are managed short term. Long term planning is difficult when most business is transaction via e-mail. I just want to work to improve this area - think ahead.

Declining Membership - I do not disagree with your comments regarding treatment of potential members during National Meets. Sometimes, we also fail to properly welcome our members. Corrections are planned for Portland. There are plans to have volunteers stationed in various place to direct members and non members. To make the BCA a friendly place. To provide information.

Financial Management - Real financial management is much more that balanced records. While we are a not for profit organization, we cannot operate long at a loss. The BCA had financial issues a few years ago. These issues have been corrected and the BCA is on strong financial footing.

National Meet Parking - I am of the opinion that National Meet Parking should be in a style desired by the members. This can only happen with planning. An ideal show field must be a strong consideration when site selections are made. Even then, we must be prepared for changes after the selection is made (like the fence in South Bend). Things will happen to alter conditions, and we must be prepared to react to make the show field parking like most members want. There will likely be problems in the future, but problems can be managed and minimized.

The National Meet Committee is the "somebody setting up and making arrangements as to the physical site where a national meet is going to take place." The locations have been approved for National Meets through 2017. In a few weeks the National Meet Committee will be ready to recommend a location for 2018. Starting with 2017 we will use a professional meeting planning organization to recommend hotel sites, and the site is defined as having as close a possible an ideal show field.

I trust this responds to your questions. I appreciate your support and your vote.

Jerry,

My vote is dependent only on the parking issue currently before the board. As a member of the current board, you have been made aware of all the communications and suggested solutions to the segregated by judging class parking plans at BCA National Meets. Roughly 10% of the BCA members who brought their Buicks to South Bend in (non-judged) Driven and Display Only Classes could not display their cars on the show field with the other judged cars. A short survey was taken, and over 95% of those affected members preferred to be parked with the judged cars on the show field.

The solution offered is to make All Together Parking By Era standard policy for all BCA National Meets. This change would make BCA meets more enjoyable for BCA members and for the general public that cannot understand the parking arrangements currently being used to segregate cars for the various judging classes. One of the purposes for which the BCA was founded is to "promote social intercourse and fellowship among BCA members" as stated in Article 1 of the BCA bylaws. All Together Parking By Era takes up no more space, is easy to understand and lay out, and would serve to bring members with similar Buicks in various classes together to socialize during the entire meet.

You and the current board members have had eight months to take action to resolve this issue, but the current board members seem to be moving at glacial speed to make a decision on this important issue. I am told there will be a survey of BCA members to help the board decide what the General Membership wants. The board already has the survey results from those affected, and I am concerned with the validity of a new survey if it does not include the option for All Together Parking By Era. I suggest you make sure the new survey specifically includes this option.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Mr. Courson, I read your response to what I asked of you yesterday. You DID NOT answer my direct question to you about ALL TOGETHER PARKING BY ERA. I am going to respectfully ask you one more time for your personal thoughts, feelings, and opinion on this important issue that has been brought to the Board of Directors attention via email, through this website, and letters to the Bugle editor. WHAT IS YOUR STANCE ON THIS ISSUE? Buick Club Members deserve to know if you have their interests in mind or something else. I WANT TO KNOW YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I know the parking issue has become a hot button issue for many, BUT it's not the ONLY important issue which might currently be or could be before the BCA BOD in the future. Therefore, I feel it should not be the only reason to vote "for" or "not-for" any particular BCA BOD candidate. Whether a particular BCA BOD candidate might or might not support the all-together parking is just ONE part of their voting record and/or orientation of what they have to contribute to the efficient operation of the BCA.

I make these statements as a free-standing member of the BCA, not to reflect upon any involvements I might have, related to the BCA organization.

Respectfully,

Willis Bell 20811

Willis,

I agree that the national meet parking issue is not the only important issue. But I hauled a Buick over 2,200 miles to South Bend only to see it parked off the show field in a separate lot for the Display Only class. So for me, national meet parking is the most important issue!

Now that the April Bugle is available, I think it appropriate to make a statement here. I am again a candidate for the BOD. The limited size of the candidate statements in the Bugle perhaps do not allow enough detail for the contenders, so this forum thread does allow amplification on discussions in several areas. At the forefront, is the discussion on the "Parking by Era" which has a rather high priority by many. Since preparing my statement, I have had some dialog with people throughout the membership. Our goal should be harmony for the majority of members and this seems to be those that favor this concept. As many have stated already, there were a number of problems at this last Meet beyond the segregated parking, and these are being addressed as best I understand the situation. This has been a restructuring of our National Meet process in the recent past (developing the National Meet Committee) and this should be reviewed as a "Work in Process". If elected, I will strive to make this a "Work in Progress", and hope that efforts will be continued for a satisfactory experience for everyone attending a National Meet. I think we have already learned for these early errors, and this now needs to be developed into concrete procedures.

I am not sure what questions are on the survey in the Bugle, but I hope they cover this and several other aspects that I feel rather strongly about. Once the survey is available to all, I would hope to continue further dialog on this forum thread.

I know that only a small percentage of members use this forum, but I hope we can turn this into a large turnout of members for the election. I encourage BCA members using the forum to remind other members you know to please vote. and complete the survey.

John Scheib

The limited size of the candidate statements in the Bugle perhaps do not allow enough detail for the contenders, so this forum thread does allow amplification on discussions in several areas.

I know that only a small percentage of members use this forum, but I hope we can turn this into a large turnout of members for the election. I encourage BCA members using the forum to remind other members you know to please vote. and complete the survey

John Scheib

A small percentage of members use this forum, but virtually all of them vote. I encourage BCA members using the forum to steer others to the forums, and I hope that all candidates will find their way over here even if not regulars. It may be wrong to dismiss a qualified candidate for non-participation, that's the way I feel. For instance, I would like clarification and debate on of one candidates' view on dissolving the national meet committee.

Willie

Hi: I am Jack Welch BCA #5387. I am also running for the BCA Board this year.

I currently own a 1940 model 91 Buick and I have owned several Buicks over the years. The newest collector car model being a 1963 Riviera and the oldest being a 1931 model 96.

I have served as Meet Head Judge at two National Meets and was Co Chair of both Nationals held in Danvers MA. I have worked the hospitality tent at Hershey for many years. I was the founder of the Minute Man Chapter of the BCA, and I currently serve as the Director of The New England Region of the Classic Car Club of America.

The Bio that will be in the upcoming Bugle reflects my stand on a variety of the issues, that I feel are important. I will list some of them here so, all members using this forum will know where I stand.

I do feel that in recent years, the communication between Chapters and the Board has not been sufficient and that many Chapters feel left out in the dark. Better communication between members and the Board of Directors is important.

I would also like to see the running of National Meets returned to the Chapters. The National Meet Committee was formed to HELP the Chapters run National Meets. I do not think that has ever happened, (I could be wrong) The was certainly no correspondence from any Committee. I think the National Meet Committee should be composed of members with experience in running National Meets.

I was not at the 2013 National, so I cannot personally speak about it, but it seems to be controversial, given that the advantage was to have an experienced committee run it.

I am also in favor of term limits for Board Members.

I was asked by email, my position on the parking of like years together, and I can say with certainty, that I am in favor of parking all cars in Class. A completely original car, be it driven class, archival, or display only can be a big help to the judge, when authenticity issues come up, and as has already been said, the socialization of being with owners of like models is a big factor when going to a National.

The Buick Bugle and the National Meet are the two big products that the BCA has to keep members , and they should be the best product we can provide.

Thank you for letting have this opportunity to communicate with you and remember "Buicks are meant to be driven"

Edited by Buick3746c (see edit history)

Mr. Welch, YOU HAVE MY VOTE AND MY WIFE'S VOTE! Thank You. You stepped up and have said that you are in favor of ending the stupidity of separated and/or segregated vehicle parking on the national meets show field. Now, if we can get Mr. Courson to state what we want to know of him, then maybe this organization can start moving in the right direction. I love the way you phrased your thoughts about this issue. I could not have said it better myself. Thank You again.

Terry Wiegand

I for one am 100% on the side of parking all of the era cars together.

The best shows that we attend are at Greenfield Village / The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mi.

In their shows they park all of the cars together by year. This is for both the Motor Muster on Fathers Day weekend and The Old Car Festival in September, with only one exception is the trucks and commercial vehicles are parked together because of the number of commercial vehicles. This is not the case with Buicks.

This makes it easy for attendees to see the changes in vehicles over the years and compare different models and manufacturers.

Also without being parked next to Dandy Dave Brennen and the Chartruse Lady in Flint I would not have become good friends with him and others with the similar era vehicles. We were able to trade experiences with our vehicles to have a better understanding in keeping them on the road and helping each other, etc.

Mr Courson, your "Parking at National Meets - This issue should be addressed to the satisfaction of the membership" is a non position sitting on the fence with your wet finger in the air checking to see which way the wind is blowing.

I will vote for nominees that state that they are in support of together parking at national meets only and will work to that end!

MrEarl.First let thank you for setting this thread up. I want to thank Jack Welch for running for the board I know he will put his very best effort in working for the entire B C A. membership.A lot of the members will remember the great work he did on two national meets in danvers MA. He is a man of his word and a very vigorous man. I to like Byran (BJM) like his point of vews on the nationals brought back to the chapters and the time limit on the board.I especially am very encourage on his thoughts for all buick's on the field.I look at all he has achieved in BCA. and his other endeavors in automobile clubs that he is the man I want up at the plate when we need the big hit.I am sure as the time comes closer the members will see Jack is the right choice.

Have a great BUICK day

frank (buke)

This thread is for BCA members seeking election or re-election to the BOD to post some information about themselves and their views of the current state of the club and issues within the club they plan to give attention to if elected. It is primarily for the candidates to state their platform and views but is open for discussion among members and candidates. Please keep comments factual, objective and polite.

You ask that this forum be open to the focus of the elections, I agree. let the candidates speak.

Edited by WWS (see edit history)

Mr. Lob, there is no disagreement with what you just said. The BCA BOD candidates SHOULD speak up on the issues involving this organization and the extremely divisive issue of ALL TOGETHER PARKING ON THE SHOW FIELD. One candidate has been asked respectfully at least twice or more to state his position on this issue and REFUSES TO ANSWER. It doesn't take much more than a fifth grader to understand why a lot of members are unhappy with the management of this organization. The 'good ol' boy' group will stop at nothing to carry on with their agenda. It is this writer's personal opinion that because someone else besides a BOD member came up with this idea that come Hell or High Water it will go nowhere. It is also this writer's opinion that this a very childish and immature attitude to have. I am still asking in a respectful manner for Mr. Courson to give the Buick Club Members his honest stance on ALL TOGETHER PARKING ON THE SHOW FIELD. Again, what say you Mr. Courson?

Terry Wiegand

Vote for "All-Together-Parking-By-Era" Director Candidates & Parking Questions in BCA Survey

If you want All-Together-Parking-By-Era at future National meets, vote for any three (3) of these Director Candidates in the upcoming BCA Director election (April's Bugle) who share your view (listed alphabetically):

* Duke Charpentier

* Ed DePouli

* John Scheib

* Jack Welch

The other Candidates don't support All-Together-Parking-By-Era.

FYI, I polled of the BCA Director Candidates listed in this month's Bugle and asked if they supported All-Together-Parking-By-Era at future National meets - one of the biggest issues currently facing the BCA. From the responses received, I am happy to say that the above listed Candidates agree with the owners of 32 of the 33 Driven cars and 8 of 9 Pre-War Archival cars owners at South Bend last year and lots of others who have written the BCA Board asking to be parked with other cars of their era and not in separate Classes at National meets.

The Bugle also carries a Survey Questionnaire this month. If you want All-Together-Parking-By-Era, please answer questions 18-22 as follows:

18. Are you happy with the typical

layout of a show field at a National

Judging Meet, where the Buicks are

organized by class?

( ) Yes

( ) No

( ) Makes no difference to me

19. The cars parked on the show field

at a national meet can be organized

in different ways. What is your

opinion on how the show field

should be organized?

Buicks should be parked on the

show field by judging classes, as it

has typically been done

( ) Yes

( ) No

( ) Makes no difference to me

IF YOU ANSWERED “NO” ON

QUESTION #19, please answer

#20-22. Otherwise, skip to #23

20. Archival/Un-restored Class U cars

should be displayed in a distinct

class (___) or together with the 400

point judged cars (__) or it makes

no difference (___)

21. Driven cars should be displayed in

a distinct class (___), together with

the 400 point judged cars (__) or it

makes no difference (____)

22. Modified cars should be displayed in

a distinct class (___), together with

the 400 point judged cars (__) or it

makes no difference (___)

If you also want to ensure that the parking mess at South Bend last year does not reoccur, in Question 13, select "d" and the explanation should be: “Chief Judge should not be allowed to segregate any class or group from the show field".

And, in the Suggestion Box, I suggest making the following statement: "Make All Together Parking By Era standard policy for all BCA National Meets 'to promote social intercourse and fellowship among BCA members' as stated in the BCA bylaws".

If you agree with All-Together-Parking-By-Era, spread the word. Forward this info to your BCA friends and ask them to vote / answer the Questionnaire.

I would be happy to provide a synopsis of the thinking that led to the All-Together-Parking-By-Era Movement. Send me an email (bill@29Buick.ca) or PM

Thank-you.

Bill McLaughlin

BCA 7160

1929 McLaughlin Buick Roadster (Archival & Driven)

Editor and Publisher: 1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter (now in its 28th Year)

Supporter: ALL-TOGETHER-PARKING-BY-ERA MOVEMENT

Guest edward depouli

Dear Buick Club Members.

This is my second attempt at running for a place on the Board of Directors.

The following is a copy of the response that I sent to Bill McLaughlin On Mar 24, 2014, at 11:04 AM, mec process wrote:

Bill,

You question calls for a very specific answer, especially since you intend to publish this answer.

I am a traditionalist.

This issue is the main issue causing me to run for a position on the Board. That and wanting to support my son, who is currently a Board member.

I believe that cars of the same era should always be parked together. Classes should be limited and designed to achieve this objective.

There is one exception to this rule in my mind. Heavily modified vehicles should have their own class. However, I've seen some vehicles that have been tastefully modified (for example a replacement modern engine with an original exterior) that could be parked along with cars of their era. In these cases, I would advocate that the window sticker differentiate the class, rather that placing the car in left field.

This is my second attempt to run for the Board. No one has ever asked for my opinion on anything before. Thank you for asking.

ed DePouli

I just became aware that this forum exists. I would be pleased to respond to any questions asked.

Perhaps some additional qualifications are in order.

By degree I am a Chemical Engineer. I am now retired. I been a member of the Buick Club since some time in the seventies.

While employed I was actively involved in numerous not-for-profit Boards.

The Bergen (county) Museum of Art and Science. First a volunteer and then a Member of the Board for 15 years including two terms a President of the Board.

The Bergen (county) Philharmonic Orchestra. A member of the Board for 4 years.

The Hermitage. A member of the Board for 3 years.

Being a member of any not-for-profit Board is about serving the membership. Serving the membership requires an understanding of what the membership wants. Ultimately it is the membership that drives the organization forward.

I am specifically running after all these years because of the polarization that is occurring among the membership over the issue of "Parking by Era". At present it is my opinion that the membership (or future potential membership) is not being be well served. This is a hobby for most of us. Not a profession or source of income. Once a year we get meet with Buick owners having a common cause; A passion for owning, displaying, and sharing knowledge of the Buicks that excite us. I fondly remember my early Nationals. Sandusky was my first and for many years thereafter I would drive my 1938-81 to each National meet. Winning or not winning a trophy was not an issue. What I most enjoyed was talking about my car with others having a vehicle of the same era. Sharing tips, parts, and experience gained.

Mr. Depouli, Thank You for putting the words down that many of us feel but just cannot quite get it to come out that way. Your statement about being a board member for a not-for-profit group in my opinion says it all. One tries to do what the membership wants done. Maybe this is a simplistic view of this situation, but, the way I look at this is like this - the common thing in this group is the cars. They are what bring us all together in one group. They do not drive themselves to a meet. The people do. They do not park themselves in a certain area. The people do. The cars do not treat people with disrespect. The people do. In my opinion the management of this organization could not care less about what is good for creating a harmonious atmosphere in the general membership. However, they will do things the way they want and do not give a thin damn about how they treat people in the process. Here is a perfect example of what I am saying. I have asked Mr. Courson THREE times to state his stance on the issue of all-together parking at future national meets. THREE TIMES there has been no answer from him. Each time he was asked it was in a very respectful manner. Any reasonable thinking person will come to the conclusion that he doesn't care what the membership wants - he is going to do what he wants and don't you forget it mister. I was raised in a manner to treat folks with respect and at all times try to do the right thing and above all tell the truth. I am going to tell the truth here. In my opinion this club will be in better hands with Mr. Welch and Mr. Depouli. My sister has taught me well how to phrase things being an attorney and all. I don't even want to go there about the person from Iowa running for the board - I could get myself banned from this forum and possibly thrown out of the BCA over that - so I'll just leave that alone. Thanks Bill for the survey prompts. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Terry Wiegand

Guest Jerry Courson

I posted a response about an hour ago that does not appear on this thread. I'll try again.

Mr. Wiegand - I have not refused to respond to your question. I will provide my opinion and any additional information needed on issues facing the BCA.

On the parking issue, as previously indicated, I will support the expressed desires of the membership on this or any other issue. The Board's job is to manage the BCA in accordance with the desires of membership and in the best interest of the membership. We have received loud and clear a membership preference on parking by era at national meets. The voices do not represent a majority of the members, and not a majority of those attending the South Bend meet, but no other member has stepped up to express a different opinion on parking. Therefore, I support parking by era at national meets. The National Chief Judge has announced that the driven class and the display class will be parked with the 400 point cars.

I believe the current members of the Board of Directors will support the expressed desires of the members on this any other issues. I sincerely hope the candidates for the board positions will provide the same support.

Parking was only one issue at South Bend. A lessons learned list has been reviewed and changes have been made.

Jerry L. Courson, Chairman

National Meet Committee

Candidate for Board of Directors

Jerry, not sure why your earlier post did not appear and I am sure it was frustrating to have to make it again. Thanks for taking the time to re-post it and thanks for your continued cool headed dialogue amongst the sometimes heated responses.

To all, I have had to delete some posts that contained personal attacks and/or were just simply argumentative and not in the spirit or to the good of the BCA. I am noticing that there are some candidates whom have not posted and I have to wonder if it might be because of some of those improper posts. This is a critically important thread and I am committed to keeping it going. So I am again asking everyone to only comment when you have something constructive or of substance to say or have a question you would like answered.

Jerry:

Some clarification is needed on your post:

Your comment: "The voices do not represent a majority of the members, and not a majority of those attending the South Bend meet, …" You're right but you forget that only 2 Classes were polled at South Bend and the owners of 32 of the 33 Driven cars and 8 of 9 Pre-War Archival cars asked to be parked with other cars of their era and not in separate Classes at National meets. That's an overwhelming majority.

And, your comment: "The National Chief Judge has announced that the driven class and the display class will be parked with the 400 point cars." This is NOT All-Together-Parking-By-Era. It is, in my opinion, an easy-step for the NCJ and his judges. Display cars are not judged and Driven cars are judged by a group not connected with his judges.

FYI.

Bill McLaughlin

BCA 7160

1929 McLaughlin Buick Roadster (Archival & Driven)

Editor and Publisher: 1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter (now in its 28th Year)

Supporter: ALL-TOGETHER-PARKING-BY-ERA MOVEMENT

I indicated in an earlier post that I would be adding more comments pertaining to my request for your vote, after I received my Bugle with the survey. Let me say that I think the survey is a positive step that will certainly address a number of issues. One area I feel strongly about is the need for better communication between the BOD and the membership. I cite here the fact that there has been only two communications on the web site since last years meeting. The meeting summary and one in October. There should be more of these summaries as I am sure there has been more communication between board members. I also feel more detailed financial information should be shared. I am not sure all members know where to look. And a means should be developed to make this only available to paid members. If elected, I will work for this better communication.

I personally think that a National Meet Committee would be better than local National Meet efforts. Remember the difficulty in finding chapter willing to be the host for meets in the recent past, and I am sure there where many problems during those events. But I am open to listen to all options. I feel strongly that any meet needs to have "committed" volunteers for these events, not just volunteers. I would work toward having the NMC develop some firm guidelines for the meets.

I could write much more, but I am going to take a slightly different approach. I would encourage anyone that has questions of me, to please use this forum to send my a personal message or email. I will respond just as quickly as I can. I will also try to get some of the responses on this forum. If you would like to talk on the phone, please send my your phone number and a suggested time to call you and I will get back to you. I am reluctant to post my phone number at this time.

You can reach me at j.scheib@comcast.net

And please remember to vote and remind your friends. "Thank you" to all that have indicated they are supporting my effort to serve.

John D. Scheib

A few observations and opinions:

Nearly a year ago I started raisin' hell about the parking situation....and predicted that the 'stuff' would hit the fan.

post #78

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/2013-bca-national-meet-south-bend-336752-2.html

At past meets only the display class was with the 400 point...others were segregated, and I believe the last straw was segregating all classes. I want All-Together-Parking-By-Era, but realize that strict guideline can only be achieved if we find a place that it is doable and go back to that place every year. And any candidate that promises that should get into national politics.

Put the chapters in charge of the National meet? Sure some chapters stepped up and put on great meets (Danvers, Concord are the most recent), others not so great (Kokomo). Or 2010 at Ames...there was not going to be a meet since no chapter stepped up (even though this is my all time favorite meet, I got to see the step-child treatment of the segregated driven class). Why reinvent the wheel every year? The only way I would support scheduling a meet in my area is if the NMC was doing it. Also any chapter whose members help out will share in any profits.

The BOD and NMC have an 'agenda'? I just ain't seein' it! I know all of these people and most of the candidates and find them all dedicated, receptive and very capable. How many have you contacted? All are sacrificing time and treasure for a chance to get abused.

Some here have badgered a candidate for the answer they want to hear , and aren't going to vote for him anyway. Others have veiled assertions about another.

Deleted posts? Gotta wonder...

Willie

I would like to to expand on my position that National Meets should be returned to the Chapters. It is a great source of revenue and Fellowship to run a National Meet. I have become close friends with members who helped run both of our Danvers Meets.

First, I do not think that the NMC should be disbanded, I think that they should act as an advisory committee to assist Chapters in running a National Meet. We have guidelines for most things the Club does, and there are guidelines for running a National Meet. They are just not specific (detailed) enough.

Second, Any National Meet should be a team effort between the NMC and the Chapter. If no Chapter steps up to the plate to run a National, let the NMC run it that year. The CCCA has done that for many years with their National Meeting, and it works well.

Thirdly, I do not believe that the NMC has any agenda, but it is not clear to the average member who the members of the NMC actually are, and that alone could give that illusion. They should be listed in the Bugle along with Tech advisors, et al.

Fourthly (is that a word? ) I believe that there should be specific term periods for the NMC members, and volunteers should be solicited at large from the membership to serve on that Committee.

Lastly, As John Schieb said, the survey is a great step forward, and it should be expanded a bit in future years. Dis-satisfied members do not usually post on forums, they just drop out.

Thanks

Jack

I think Jack Welch hit it on the head with his thoughts on the National Meet Committee. In my opinion, the NMC would better serve as a consulting group, available when called upon, and able to step up and run a show only when necessary. I enjoy moving the Nationals around the country. As many of you know, I have been heavily involved with the National Meet for over 15 years. There have been many improvements in running a National event over these years. The biggest fears for any local chapter wanting to volunteer to host a National Meet, I think, are the registrations and the finances. The registrations have been handled by the same group pf people for many years now, with all registrations being sent to them for processing. They are there at the meet, as well, assuring changes are made when necessary, and assisting with the judging process and the banquet presentation. The finances could still be handled by the NMC, as they have been for the last few years. What's left is the local organization and volunteers. I feel strongly that the lack of volunteers at last year's National meet was due to no one local 'taking ownership'. First of all, there was no local chapter near the site, and, even if there was one, why should they volunteer when the NMC was doing everything? There is no substitute for the knowledge and commitment of the local chapter in running a show. The planning should start 2-3 years in advance. Jack is right about the local chapters coming closer as a group when running a National meet. It is a local team effort. If host chapters commit to hosting a National show they will be sure to get it done, and be proud of it. If the NMC does everything, why would anyone else get involved?

I would like to hear what the other candidates have to say on this topic, please.

Willie and others,

Regarding deleted posts, I know others have the authority, but I have faith in Lamar to do "the right thing" and keep it open if it is not malicious and only delete those he feels necessary.

John

I was just wondering what was deleted since there is still some 'nasty' out there. (I have been censored and censured for less :D)

Parking was only one issue at South Bend. A lessons learned list has been reviewed and changes have been made.

Jerry L. Courson, Chairman

National Meet Committee

Candidate for Board of Directors

Would you be so kind as to list the "lessons learned".

Thank you.

To All , My position on the parking issue is of no concern . My job as a Board Member is to represent the Club as a whole . What the majority of the Members want is what I will back . This is just one of the reasons why the survey was done . One Member -One Vote - Everyone pays their Dues . I hope that ALL Members will respect what the majority wishes to do . It would be very easy for me to be a YES/NO man to make some folks happy but that is just NOT my style . Honesty is a true virtue ! See you in Portland !

Hi Dick,

I almost hate to say it (don't want to make MrEarl's job difficult), but that is a very political answer. I can appreciate that you would want to do the will of the membership, but does the entire membership matter if 500 attend the National Meet? Shouldn't the attendees have more pull on an issue that affects them rather than someone who has never attended a National and may never do so? Have members been lost over parking issues? If yes, then I would hope that is of grave concern to the BoD.

Of course, the reality is that it is difficult to gauge why members drop off. Perhaps one idea would be to reach out to members who don't renew asking for a brief response as to why. Without knowing the rates of non-renewal, I understand this could get expensive. Of course, it is also possible that some would see it as a friendly gesture of the club and that might be the impetus for a renewal (i.e. they see the club reaching out to them). To someone who isn't committed to the Buick marque and the BCA, perhaps they simply see the club as a magazine subscription...for those, I could see the content of the Bugle mattering more to them and, if they don't express their feelings, they may simply drop off as a result.

I think I'm starting to ramble...I've been going about 40 hours now with just a little bit of napping so I'd better stop typing before I say anything too stupid (assuming we haven't already crossed that bridge).

Guest dukec

Hello All

Thanks for providing this forum for all BCA BOD candidates to introduce themselves and to respond to questions and issues.

I have been a “ – “ time Buick owner – I purposely left out “long” as I have not been involved as long as some others. A life long gear head and automotive enthusiast I have owned many diverse marques. Buick to Jaguar to Volvo to Shelby and back to Buicks with many others including motorcycles between. In fact my very first car as a teenager was a 1954 Buick sedan. I am the current owner of a modified 1967 GS400 convertible that is not modified to show but to be driven and enjoyed.

The reason that I want to be on the BOD for the BCA is fueled by a desire to see a diverse board that comes from all segments of BCA membership. The board needs to have a broad range of backgrounds and experiences among the directors. I bring business, financial and communications experience as well as long range group and event planning. I have an extensive background as an automobile event planner, organizer and judge. I have worked with hotels, sites and government entities and understand how they think and operate. The board also needs to be made up of members from all over and it has been a few years since there was a member from the Northwest.

I currently see issues being discussed in this forum and others about the various candidates and their views with the biggest concern being the National Meet parking. My stance is that the BCA National Meet is for the BCA members - not the judges. While there are some members that need their 400 point cars judged, most cars are entered so that the owners can engage other members with similar cars. This is an ideal opportunity to meet and share ideas, stories and sources. Therefore, for most, the point judging is secondary.

I believe that all cars should be parked on the show field in Era / All together parking. More importantly, I believe that every car that is entered in the show at a BCA National - no matter the class – should be parked on the main and only show field.

The showing and sharing is the thing – not the trophies. How can anyone participate in the overall experience when they have been relegated and/or segregated to a secondary site away from the main field? Moving some cars for the convenience of the judges, to the detriment of the owners is and should be foreign to the BCA.

Thanks for allowing me to share my $0.02 and I look forward to meeting everyone and sharing a wonderful National Meet in Portland in July!

Best regards

W. Duke Charpentier

BCA 40285

Ps – Yes that is me on the ballot even if my name is not spelled correctly.

Edited by dukec (see edit history)

Duke, I and a lot of other members feel exactly the way you do about the way a national meet should be. This club really needs some changes in a few areas and I really hope that you and a few others can be part of the changes for the better.

Terry Wiegand

I would really like an answer to my post #33 above. It is relevant to my vote, because I am concerned about the role of the National vs the Chapters in running our national meets.

Will Mr. Courson or any current BOD member please share the list of "lessons learned" from South Bend and the intended fixes?

John

I ensured all candidates were made aware of this opportunity to share their information and views of the current state of the club and issues within the club they plan to give attention to if elected by notifying the BCA Office of this thread and they in turn got the word out to all.

These candidates are

Duke Charpentier - Vancouver, Washington

Jerry Courson - Cedar Park, Texas

Edward DePouli - Charlotte, North Carolina

Alan Oldfield - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

John Scheib - West Hartford, Connecticut

Dick Sweeney - Alpine, California

Jack Welch - Melrose, Massachusetts

I have purposely tried to remain silent regarding the issues and the opinions of the candidates and members as I understand that it could be thought by some that a moderator might abuse his powers and edit and or delete dialogue for or against their personal stance on issues. I assure you this has not and will not be done!! But I do want to say that the dialogue, arguments and debates that have gone on here have literally changed my mind about who I plan to vote for. One thing I am not understanding is the reluctance of some candidates to simply state their stance on issues affecting the club. Whatever the issue, in my opinion it is only right that a candidate state their stance, even if they qualify it with noting that they will back whatever the club as a whole wishes.

I would like to applaud Duke, Jerry, Edward, John and Jack thus far for realizing and appreciating the impact that their posting of their information and ALL their views of the issues here on the forum could have on the final outcome of the election. Hopefully Alan and Dick will post their information and views of ALL the issues at some point. Parking at the nationals IS NOT the only issue that needs to be addressed by the candidates or the current and future BOD. I would like to see this thread move out of the current parking issue bog that it has been in and move on to some of the other issues.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I want to thank Lamar for reminding us of the original purpose of this thread. Not to shy away from the parking by era question, but there was, indeed, one other issue at South Bend, and perhaps other meets. One area of concern is that there may have been an inadequate number of volunteers, insufficient instruction as to their expected duties, and perhaps even failure to fulfill the assigned time commitment promised. As we know, local chapters have been reimbursed, by profit sharing, for the efforts of the members of any chapters.

I am hesitant to suggest this by run like a military operation, but I think there needs to be considerable more planning and rigidity in performance. In 2000, I was fortunate to be involved with a volunteer effort for Opsail2000, a tall ship event when they spent a few days in the port of New London, CT as part of a tour of many US ports. This four day festival had probably 50 times more visitors than a BCA National and many more volunteers. This was not perfect by any means, but twelve years later, I still remember some of the problems that occurred. I think, as a Director, I can bring some of that experience to the National Meet Committee. I think guidelines or SOP should be established in writing, so there is no need to reinvent each year, and I think a National Meet Committee is the best way to have the year-to-year consistency. While compensation for volunteering is limited, everyone physically able should want to spend some time and effort to be sure their Buick friends have a good time. I believe in the old theory, "Many Hands make Light Work." True, the more volunteers, the less revenue sharing available, but that should not be the incentive. The volunteers should also be provided with some distinct apparel or identification when the are on duty at a particular post. I do not believe this has been done often in the past, if ever.

This is just one subject that we can all kick around for a bit. As Lamar has suggested, I have taken his bait to get more conversation going.

John Scheib