Still trying to pull the wheel- 1933

Okay, After a good soak with PB Blaster and a turn with the impact I FINALLY got the nut off. Now, the problem is this. I constructed what I thought was a pretty good puller for the job out of some angle iron and threaded rods. Despite hours of trying I cannot get the steering wheel to separate from the shaft. Very frustrating. I am cranking on it enough that it further cracked some of the Bakelite but still no luck. I mean the steering wheel will not budge. I am very hesitant to use any head as I am sure that will really mess up the wheel hub. Thoughts?

A trick I use is to hit the head of the pull screw.

It shocks the hub and sometimes it comes loose.

Tighten the pull screw as much as you can and give the pull screw a wack!

What happens is that the thread is on one side and by hitting it on the head it will tighten a little more and shock it loose.

In pulling brake drums I found this to work well. Make sure you put some high pressure grease on the threads.

I use center lube which is used by old time machinist or other high pressure greases.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#extreme-condition-lubricants/=rayg0c

One time I could not get the drum off but quit for the day but left the tension on the puller.

The next morning the drum was off by itself.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest stude8
Okay, After a good soak with PB Blaster and a turn with the impact I FINALLY got the nut off. Now, the problem is this. I constructed what I thought was a pretty good puller for the job out of some angle iron and threaded rods. Despite hours of trying I cannot get the steering wheel to separate from the shaft. Very frustrating. I am cranking on it enough that it further cracked some of the Bakelite but still no luck. I mean the steering wheel will not budge. I am very hesitant to use any head as I am sure that will really mess up the wheel hub. Thoughts?

I'll attach some pages of an article from the ASC newsletter a few years ago about pulling Studebaker steering wheel levers, it might help.

John Shanahan

post-31139-143142447117_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142447103_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14314244711_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142447113_thumb.jpg