66 Starter problems

Guest jhaedtler

Guest jhaedtler

This one has me scratching my head and wondering what happened?

Hit the key and all I get is a clicking. Had the battery tested and it is good. Pulled the starter and had it tested and it is good. I doubled checked the wiring at the starter and that was correct. I cleaned all of the wire connections and applied Dielectric compound to them all. I am totally at a loss! Help please!

John

John, try the external regulator for the alternator. If those points close and stay, it will drain a battery and not start. You can pull the cover and file the points, like in a distributor, and get it started, but if this solves the problem, replace the regulator.

Electrical problems can be tough to diagnose via internet. When did it start acting up? Was there any other work recently done just prior to acting up?

When you say it clicks I assume that is the solenoid engaging? If the solenoid is engaging but motor isn't turning, full power isn't getting to the motor either because of 1. A weak battery, 2. bad cable(s) or 3. a defective solenoid contact.

This is what I would do.

Insure good ground connection on engine.

Cables can corrode inside the insulation. They can look OK at first glance. Look for uneven appearing insulation such as a bumpy surface. The cable from the juntion block to the starter has (originally) extra insulation so its even more difficult to inspect.

Try bypassing the positive cable by connecting a jumper cable (like you use to jump start) from the battery positive directly to the large starter solenoid + post then try it.

If same result, connect the ground jumper from batt neg to engine block.

If same result try another battery from one of your other vehicles.

Couple notes - Depending what method was used, bench testing a starter may not be the same as testing under a load equal to turning over 425 engine. Same goes for the battery.

Guest jhaedtler

Thanks for the responce. I was given the car, it supposedly was being driven up till about 3 or 4 years ago. Like life nothing is what it seems! The only cable I have not really looked at was the one running from the horn relay to the starter! That will be next. I pulled the spark plugs to relieve any back pressure to test but have not gotten the starter to engage to even crank it. I looked at the regulator points also, thanks again for that tip, I had forgotten that part!

I may just replace the starter solenoid to see if that maybe it.

This is why I played with Airplanes most of my life!

John

I had a friend who taught Goodyear technicians some of the finer points of diagnosis. His program was used to teach the use of the latest technology. He had one car in once that was diagnosed as having a bad positive battery cable. The student called and had a new one delivered, installed it, and got the same diagnosis. Called and got another cable, still had the same diagnosis. Tried a third cable and everything was fine. Two brand new cables and both were defective from the manufacturer.

Do like Jason suggested and by-pass things until you find which pieces(s) is faulty.

What happens if you try to start it with your battery jumped to another battery in a running car? With one car I had, I went through a new Wally World battery (it came with one) almost every three to four weeks. I finally gave up on trying to get a good one and bought an Interstate. Strangely enough, I've had really good luck with batteries from AutoZone lately.

Ed

Ed

Guest jhaedtler

Ed;

Strangely enough this is a Wally World Battery. When I put a charger to it I watched the acid, Aviation trick, if there ain't no bubbles in one cell, you have a bad cell. Well this one had a bad cell but the bone head at Wally world told me it was fine and even printed out a test result. I will try jumping from my LeSabre in the morning. Thanks everyone. Airplanes are so much simpler for simpler mechanics like me!

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jhaedtler

The Starter problem saga continues! I tried to jump the Riviera but No Joy! Got irritated, changed jobs to get something done. then the other day I wanted to remove the headlight rings and parts to clean prep and repaint. well the lights would not open. I checked the battery voltage, it was dead, zero zip Nada! So I removed the cables and did some checking. I got continuity between the positive clamp and the frame?? Now I'm really scratching my balding head. I pulled the wires off the horn relay and only hooked up the line to the starter. Checked continuity again and it showed good. Now I'm charging the battery again! Can a car be Haunted?

Now I know why I got the car for free!

John

Guest wildcat465

Was it running recently? Does the engine turn with a socket on the crank bolt? Hitting the starter on a stuck engine will run down a battery pretty fast.

Guest jhaedtler

It was running 2 to 3 years ago and yes I can turn it with a wrench! It has to be haunted! I just want to speak with the Ghost, Maybe I can get some answers!

Come to think of it, it was painted White with a Blue interior! That's what I want to go back to. Classy look!

Thanks

John

Sometimes if a battery is bad jumping it won't work especially if you have the small gauge aluminum copper/clad jumper cables so common today. You need to try a known good battery.How many CCA is the battery you have?

Depending on how many ohms you got some reading may bee normal if a door is open, key is on, etc as any light that would normally be on would provide a path to ground.