Newby Q Re BOP blocks/engine of the 60's and 70's

Guest tardisi

Guest tardisi

Hi all- I'm a former Chevy-die-hard who's looking to 'open up

his horizons' a bit and learn more about the other GM branches.

I'm finding myself surprised to learn that BOP designed & built their

own unique blocks and engines instead of just using Chevy motors.

I've also learned that the Chevy & BOP engines are NOT interchangable

easily (different engine mounting points/brackets). But I'm wondering, are

the BOP engines interchangable? IE: can you easily drop a Pontiac or Buick

engine into an Olds or vice-versa? I'm primarily thinking of the small-block

and big-block engines of the 60's and 70's.

CJ Wilson

jwilson@unctv.org

Hi all- I'm a former Chevy-die-hard who's looking to 'open up

his horizons' a bit and learn more about the other GM branches.

I'm finding myself surprised to learn that BOP designed & built their

own unique blocks and engines instead of just using Chevy motors.

I've also learned that the Chevy & BOP engines are NOT interchangable

easily (different engine mounting points/brackets). But I'm wondering, are

the BOP engines interchangable? IE: can you easily drop a Pontiac or Buick

engine into an Olds or vice-versa? I'm primarily thinking of the small-block

and big-block engines of the 60's and 70's.

CJ Wilson

jwilson@unctv.org

Your information is correct. Each division had their own engine design group. This fact is what lead to GM's being such a sale giant in the 60's and 70's. I worked at GM's assembly plant in Baltimore from 1968 to 2005. We built Chevrolet and Pontiac A bodies (and others) during that time. The cars shared the frames, and some suspension parts, but each engine required different motor mounts and accessory brackets. This practice continued until the 80's when GM became embroiled in the "Corporate engine" stink when people found their Oldsmobiles had Chevrolet engines. Your swap should be successful if you get the motor mounts and all accessory brackets from the donor car. You must stay within the same body size group. I think you'll have the troubles you describe if you pull an 455 engine from say a 1970 Buick Electra 225 and try to put it in a Cutlass because of the different frames. There are probably aftermarket mount for a lot of swaps.

Guest tardisi

The cars shared the frames, and some suspension parts, but each engine required different motor mounts and accessory brackets.

You must stay within the same body size group. I think you'll have the troubles you describe if you pull an 455 engine from say a 1970 Buick Electra 225 and try to put it in a Cutlass because of the different frames.

Ah-ha, good point. I'm pondering a pretty simple swap, a 4.9 L Buick motor into an mid-60's F-85/Cutlass. Both 'A-bodies', so hopefully no big deal. Thanks!

CJ Wilson

The cars shared the frames, and some suspension parts, but each engine required different motor mounts and accessory brackets.

You must stay within the same body size group. I think you'll have the troubles you describe if you pull an 455 engine from say a 1970 Buick Electra 225 and try to put it in a Cutlass because of the different frames.

Ah-ha, good point. I'm pondering a pretty simple swap, a 4.9 L Buick motor into an mid-60's F-85/Cutlass. Both 'A-bodies', so hopefully no big deal. Thanks!

CJ Wilson

Probably a bigger deal than you realize. Starters on different sides, accessories in different locations, etc. You would be much better keeping a Buick in a Buick and an Olds in an Olds. And even though they were the apx same displacement, virtually nothing interchanges between say a Buick 455, an Olds 455 and a Pontiac 455.

As Brad says above, starters on different sides, etc. The 1966 and 1967 Buick Rivieras are almost identical when looking at the exteriors. The '66 was the last year for the Buick "Nailhead." The '67 was the first year for the 430 (in '70 it was enlarged to the 455.) But trying to swap a 430/455 into a '66 Riviera is a royal PITA. Here's what's needed:

1) 430 Motor (basic block, of course)

2) Motor bracketry: must have 430's power steering pump, alternator and AC compressor bracketry

3) 430's power steering pump ('66s won't fit on 430)

4) 430's radiator

5) 430's engine mounts

6) 430's engine bay wiring harness (wired differently to starter)

7) 430's starter

8) 430's air cleaner

9) 430's heat riser valve (if retaining that feature)

10)430's ignition (at front of engine, another reason for different harness)

11) New radiator hoses (for 430)

12) Radiator upper retainer 'plate' and rubber mounts, etc.

13) All AC hoses (AC muffler must relocate to inner fender)

14) Horns must relocate because of 13)

Even harder to believe is "I'm finding myself surprised to learn that BOP designed & built their

own unique blocks and engines instead of just using Chevy motors." Chevy was the cheap motor, that's why people put up such a fuss when GM started putting them in the upper lines.

Buick predated Chevrolet by a number of years. :) The first Buick was built in 1899. In 1908, General Motors acquired Buick followed by Oldsmobile, Oakland (Pontiac) and later Cadillac. It wasn't for another 10 years that Chevrolet came on board. William Durant, Chairman of GM, originally hired Louis Chevrolet to drive Buicks for him in promotional races.

Swapping became easier starting in '67 when every division except Chevrolet, went to the GM Corporate bellhousing and transmissions. Then the only basic difference in the BOP chassis was the engine mounts.

• Like 1