Model T Body Year Identification

crazycars

Do any of you fine folks know how to identify the actual body year of a Model T Ford. I have just acquired, what I was told is, a 1922 Coupe. The information could be wrong. Also, the motor was replaced with a later one. I will need to order top and door wood kits but, judging from Lang's catalog, there are different kits for different year coupes, 20-23 and 24-25. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a really interesting project!

Go to the "Model T Ford Club of America" web-site. Select the photo section and each year is shown by body style. Since the engine has been replaced that is not an issue unless you want to restore it to a common year based on the body. Bruce McCalley's book is another source. I believe reprints are available, maybe web versions too, worth checking out. Good luck.

Quick and dirty. The '19 to '23 coupes have suicide doors, hinged at the rear. They also have a rear trunk that attaches behind the "phone booth". The '24 and '25 coupes have doors hinged at the front, not suicide doors. The trunk is part of the passenger compartment of the body. Not an added on piece.

In model Ts, the coupe had more changes (both major and minor) than I think any other body style all the way from 1915 clear to the end in 1927. My April 1924 coupe appears to be the third variation for coupes in 1924 model year alone. At least one more followed before the changes made for the '25 model.

Seat risers, window riser mechanisms, and the required wood structure changes to accommodate the differing mechanisms. The windshield frame, the floorboard riser, all changed several times in two years time. A big one is that the '24 has heavy wood-framed doors. The '25 mostly used lighter all steel doors.

The 1919 through most of 1923 Coupes are about as bad with frustrating changes to the body. But they are even nicer in the "cool car" department. I like the earlier ones better, but I like my '24 a lot!

post-95442-143142445643_thumb.jpg

Coupes are well worth the issues of multiple changes. Some of them may be annoying while you try to figure it out, but then you discover that there really are several right answers.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2