Old Flathead 6

Realsteeljack

We recently got this unusual looking straight six head , but not a clue what it could be from .

There are no numbers or other identification on it whatsoever .

There are 2 grease nipples on top with very small lettering which could be French .

It reads : King - Brevete sgds patent .

Hopefully one of you can help us out with this one

Thank you

8_zps38d43e0f.jpg

7_zpscdd2a6fc.jpg

10_zpsc68a1e5c.jpg

9_zpsbd618b29.jpg

Yes that was an option i looked into as well .

Still I'm pretty much convinced these are for lubricating .

As seen in the close up shot of one of these nipples there are small holes in the middle which are less than a millimeter and have no thread whatsoever .

They do connect with two narrow channels that go all the way trough the head , you can just see these on the underside photo

They can't be priming cups. Each cylinder would have one and they would dump directly into the cylinders, these don't. The large diameter pipe at the rear of the head looks like a water outlet or inlet. How many engines have a feature like that? Might the offset position of the water outlet at the front of the head be an indication that it is possibly the left head of a V12? Wild guess maybe, but........?

Terry

Guest Commodore

It looks like the two fittings had a French patent. The phrase "Brevete sgds" actually is "Brevete San Garantie Du Governement" which means "Patent without the Government guarantee". I think this means that The French government did not take responsibility to the items or methods described in the patent as being really new inventions. The French patent authorities apparently did not compare new patent applications with the any patent already issued.