Baffles in H V12 block cooling sytem

I am getting my rebuilt block ready to install ; just received rebuilt coil and water pumps from

Skip. My old (cracked) block had some homemade? baffles in it cut from brass shim stock.

Do I need these or any CORRECT baffles??

post-39370-143142439959_thumb.jpg

Guest jims41LC

I looked in my v12 engine repair manual published by Ford. The only baffles listed, mentioned and illustrated are oil baffles. I am baffled by having cooling baffles.

Jim, these bafles are correct. Lincoln uses them to direct cool water furthur back in the block to cool off the back cylinders. I guess it is considered a band aid approach to the never ending heating problems of the V-12 engine.

Use the correct baffles (Earl Brown has them). These baffles are particularly effective at low engine speeds. They started using the baffles in '41 to even up the flow of coolant.

They cup around the front cylinder creating a cylinder to funnel coolant from the pump to improve its action..they slip right in ..but

will seem difficult until you "get it"..simple sheet brass bent around..I dont know if it was a aftermarket update or Ford originated..

I have not seen any dealer issued discusion