Timing belt info

Guest FILBERT

Guest FILBERT

Okay, I've only owned cars with timing chains before, so don't know much about timing belts, but have heard that they need to be changed every so often. I have a 91 TC that needs the valve cover gaskets replaced as they are leaking just a bit of oil, so I figure if I'm going to pay a mechanic to do that much, that I may as well have the timing belt changed, right? The odometer froze at 94K miles, so I have no idea of the true mileage. It runs like a champ, but each time I drive it I'm afraid the timing belt is going to break and ruin the engine, so the sooner I get this taken care of the better. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Filbert

P.S. Are these engines American or made by Mitsubishi?

Edited by FILBERT (see edit history)

I suggest changing the water pump at the same time. About $70 at Auto Zone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ASC-WPK-Water-Pump-Kit/1991-Chrysler-TC-Maserati-Import/_/N-itfktZ93zsj?itemIdentifier=429424_696070_0_

The engine is a Mitsubishi with a Chrysler plenum cover. The same engine was used in Dodge Caravan, Pymouth Voyager, Chrysler Lebaron and many other Chrysler products.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StudeDude 01

I agree with G&G re: the water pump. You may also want to change the timing belt tensioner because of the age of the car. Since this is a non-interference engine, you will not have issues if the belt does break. Good luck

• 2 months later...
Guest VegasTC
I agree with G&G re: the water pump. You may also want to change the timing belt tensioner because of the age of the car. Since this is a non-interference engine, you will not have issues if the belt does break. Good luck

I wanted to thank you and G&G for your great information. I have 91K on the car and a shop is telling me I need to get the timing belt changed, even though they admit the only reason they are saying this is due to the mileage. I also have a valve cover gasket oil leak that they are asking $320 to fix.

We are going to try to sell the car soon, should I definitely spend the money to fix the oil leak?

Thank you very much!

Guest TCBucky89

Age, as well as mileage should be considered when thinking about a timing belt. I had a 1984 Chevette in 1988 that broke a timing belt! Ya just never know. If you have doubts, and worry every time you drive it, then you probably should get it changed. If it isn't bad....well, at least you'll have a new one!

Guest VegasTC

Thanks! I had a 1971 Fiat I bought in high school. The timing belt went out on the Kansas Turnpike ruining my engine. Towing it back to town cost me a fortune by itself! If there's not a chance for engine damage if it goes out, I hate to put any more money in it. I have enough door dents in it that will probably drain my wallet if I do want to sell it.

Thanks! I had a 1971 Fiat I bought in high school. The timing belt went out on the Kansas Turnpike ruining my engine. Towing it back to town cost me a fortune by itself! If there's not a chance for engine damage if it goes out, I hate to put any more money in it. I have enough door dents in it that will probably drain my wallet if I do want to sell it.

If you are certain about selling it, stop driving it and put the "FOR SALE" sign on it right away. It is VERY costly to have the timing belt and water pump replaced on a 3.0L

Guest VegasTC
If you are certain about selling it, stop driving it and put the "FOR SALE" sign on it right away. It is VERY costly to have the timing belt and water pump replaced on a 3.0L

I have the 2.2 4 cylinder Turbo in the TC, about 91K. I am replacing the valve cover gasket but not the timing belt or water pump. We have stopped driving it and it will be immediately for sale. It's a real shame as my mother-in-law put a brand new transmission in it for $4K about 8,000 miles ago.

I have the 2.2 4 cylinder Turbo in the TC, about 91K. I am replacing the valve cover gasket but not the timing belt or water pump. We have stopped driving it and it will be immediately for sale. It's a real shame as my mother-in-law put a brand new transmission in it for $4K about 8,000 miles ago.

OK VegasTC, you have a 2.2 and it is a lot simpler to put the timing belt in this engine. My answer above was to FILBERT who has a 3.0L

Please disregard my previous statement.

It gets confusing for us when we don't know which engine people are referring to. So, in the future, EVERYONE, let us know the specifics on the engine when you ask questions.