newbie looking for help

Guest gnd84

Guest gnd84

Hi everyone im a newbi here,im looking for some help ive got a 1953 buick special,and im looking for a item for her a fan driven pulley item number from the chassis manual 1343188.It sits behind the fan and is mounted to a drive wheel by four bolts,mine has just shattered so guys if any one has any ideas where i can get one or has one for sale and wants to help a limey buick owner out it would be most appreciated thank you.

Guest gnd84

Hi thanks for the replies,yes its a single pulley John,and no its not a spacer Dandy and will post a pic of it in its sorry state thanks for the welcome regards gary.

Interesting, That is a water pump pulley and should be easy to replace. You should have an one offered by the end of the US day.

I have never seen one break that way. It is surely a stress failure.

Because of the non-factory paint job, one can tell it was taken off the car and replaced. Incorrect bolts or torquing may have contributed to the failure. The odd thing is the wear mark from where the belt rides. It looks like too small a belt was installed. Maybe it set up a frequency that fractured over time. Be sure to install the correct belt.

Once the part is replaced I would keep a close eye on the water pump shaft and bearings. Just check for drips and wiggle the fan each time you drive it. You might want to buy the person with the blue paint a pint or two of beer and ask what other stuff they worked on.

Bernie

Guest gnd84

Thank you Bernie,very helpful reply im now going to look for the correct belt for the car to see if its right or wrong thank you again your help is much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...