How to set the timing on a 1929 Franklin

Guest god_sent

Guest god_sent
post-99845-143142436867_thumb.jpgMe and my grandpa have rewired the electrical system including from spark plugs to distributor cap and set the order as described in a previous post at 1-4-2-5-3-6. We are now trying to set the timing correctly using a crank to turn the engine over. We read that the fan should be set 1-5/8" on the generator side of the mark on the fan, but we do not see any special markings on the fan that would indicate a starting or reference position. There is a vertical notch on the housing around the fan at "12 o'clock" but that is it. Does anyone know how to set this initial position correctly on this model Franklin?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239680[/ATTACH]Me and my grandpa have rewired the electrical system including from spark plugs to distributor cap and set the order as described in a previous post at 1-4-2-5-3-6. We are now trying to set the timing correctly using a crank to turn the engine over. We read that the fan should be set 1-5/8" on the generator side of the mark on the fan, but we do not see any special markings on the fan that would indicate a starting or reference position. There is a vertical notch on the housing around the fan at "12 o'clock" but that is it. Does anyone know how to set this initial position correctly on this model Franklin?

The photo does not show the housing installed and it needs to be.

The correct firing order is 1-4-2-6-3-5

get. an. owners. manual. It has more information than you will ever need and shows the marks you use.

Edited by f147pu (see edit history)

Guest god_sent

I am sorry, I misspoke on the firing order, we do have it set at 1-4-2-6-3-5. We have the fan housing housing on and the only mark we saw as I stated before was a 1" vertical raised notch, now we just have to verify the position of the valves in relation to that mark I guess.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239680[/ATTACH]Me and my grandpa have rewired the electrical system including from spark plugs to distributor cap and set the order as described in a previous post at 1-4-2-5-3-6. We are now trying to set the timing correctly using a crank to turn the engine over. We read that the fan should be set 1-5/8" on the generator side of the mark on the fan, but we do not see any special markings on the fan that would indicate a starting or reference position. There is a vertical notch on the housing around the fan at "12 o'clock" but that is it. Does anyone know how to set this initial position correctly on this model Franklin?

You are looking for a small hole or punched out triangle (a 'delta' mark) in the lip if the fan rim. It is this hole that should be ahead of the vertical line in the center of the blower housing.

Then follow the book, as Gordon suggests. The fan rim hole is used for ignition timing and to confirm final camshaft setting (or valve timing). Cam timing spec is a range and not a single number. Follow the book. If you do not have one, get one. Until then you can email me directly at odyrestorations@aol.com if I can help.

Tom Rasmussen