My Sweetheart and a $250.00 1955 Buick Special

Mudbone

I purchased this car in 1973 while attending Denver Automotive and Diesel College. I paid $250.00 for it. It had a leaky front seal in the Dynaflow transmission and four bald tires. It had about 110,000 miles on it then. I put a new front trans seal in and four good used Bias ply tires, a tune up and an oil change. My sweetheart came out to visit so we went for a tour through the mountains, including Mount Evans! The Dynaflow had no problem with the grade; I only used low range mostly for going down hill to save the brakes. The car I sold. (I did keep the girl!) Mud

(Sorry about the poor quality) It was transferred from Super 8, to VHS and then to DVD.

Awesome, absolutely awesome!!! Was not aware your love and appreciation for the 55's went back that far. Interesting that the first 54 Special I bought back in 72 only cost me $250 also. Also didn't know you attended the Denver Auto and Diesel College, now I know where you gained some of the knowledge and skills displayed here on the forum and in your other Dyna Youtube videos. And apparently recording it all for posterity has always been a thing of yours also. THANKS for sharing Mud, tha's what makes this forum...people like you.

Guest Skyking

What a great video!!! I guess l got a real bargain back in 1973 when I bought my first '55 Buick for $25.00. Those were great times. Thanks for the memories........

Its nice to have those personal documentary items. When they get shared online it inspires me to get the scanner going. Those two pictures of my wife and I that I float around are from the late summer or fall of 1974. I paid $1,000 for that '39 Special and was driving a $200 '66 Riviera on our first date.

Bernie

Awesome, absolutely awesome!!! Was not aware your love and appreciation for the 55's went back that far. Interesting that the first 54 Special I bought back in 72 only cost me $250 also. Also didn't know you attended the Denver Auto and Diesel College, now I know where you gained some of the knowledge and skills displayed here on the forum and in your other Dyna Youtube videos. And apparently recording it all for posterity has always been a thing of yours also. THANKS for sharing Mud, tha's what makes this forum...people like you.

Let’s go back a little further in time. My dad purchased a 1956 Buick Century 4dr hardtop (Blue & white) in 1960. We had that car forever! Most of us five kids took their drivers license test in that car including me. Then in the summer of 1970 my brother in-law had me out to his farm to work on some old cars his hired hand left behind. One was 1955 Special 2dr sedan. (I didn’t have a driver’s license yet so the hayfield was my proving ground. After rebuilding the engine and transmission and finally getting a title for it I could actually drive it on the road. I owned this car a few years after I sold the red & white one.

post-50945-143142438309_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438321_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438325_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438334_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438342_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438351_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438359_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438368_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142438376_thumb.jpg

Looks as if you had an "oval" track going on there! Practicing for Indy!

Yep, I was about 15 and was having a blast; it didn’t take the corners too well. I thought it was going to roll over on its side! I’m not sure the hay fields ever grew back in those spots! Mud

Love your pictures!

Especially the motor and trany on your Lill' Red Wagon shot!

As to the hay field, that's why snowmobilers need to respect farm fields. Tempting to get out there on those flat fields but does terrible damage to the winter wheat etc.

Fun looking back. Keep up the posts Mud.

Nice video Mud, but I had to pause it half way through to go out and drive one of my 55's and look through its' bird strainer on the hood (driving these things is not a spectator sport, kinda like neither is fishing, bowling, sex...).

Lots of parallel stories out there even involving 55's. My first one a 46R was given to me after it was 'totaled' in a rear end collision (frame bent, trunk pushed to rear glass, drivetrain pushed forward off broken mounts); I paid a frame shop $60 to pull everything back in place; $30 to have the engine and tranny mounts replaced; beat out the trunk with a sledge hammer; replaced the gas tank with used $7; drove it hard on and off road for a total of 365,000 miles! It became a parts car after the engine lost oil pressure --- not many good parts since most were 'customized by crunch' or completely worn out.

Eisenhower tunnel: looks like it was still 2-way traffic at that time.

Loveland Pass: an alternative to the tunnel and will have you thinking again about all those engine, transmission and brake part you had in your grubby little hands!

Dillon, CO: we try to stay there a few days every 2 years...tasty beer at the Dillon Dam Brewery!

Your picture of the engine/tranny installation looks like a 56 tranny with the aluminum bell housing.

Finish your current 55, collect all the awards it deserves then drive all over Colorado again.

Willie

Nice video Mud, but I had to pause it half way through to go out and drive one of my 55's and look through its' bird strainer on the hood (driving these things is not a spectator sport, kinda like neither is fishing, bowling, sex...).

Lots of parallel stories out there even involving 55's. My first one a 46R was given to me after it was 'totaled' in a rear end collision (frame bent, trunk pushed to rear glass, drivetrain pushed forward off broken mounts); I paid a frame shop $60 to pull everything back in place; $30 to have the engine and tranny mounts replaced; beat out the trunk with a sledge hammer; replaced the gas tank with used $7; drove it hard on and off road for a total of 365,000 miles! It became a parts car after the engine lost oil pressure --- not many good parts since most were 'customized by crunch' or completely worn out.

Eisenhower tunnel: looks like it was still 2-way traffic at that time.

Loveland Pass: an alternative to the tunnel and will have you thinking again about all those engine, transmission and brake part you had in your grubby little hands!

Dillon, CO: we try to stay there a few days every 2 years...tasty beer at the Dillon Dam Brewery!

Your picture of the engine/tranny installation looks like a 56 tranny with the aluminum bell housing.

Finish your current 55, collect all the awards it deserves then drive all over Colorado again.

Willie

It was one of those cars you wish you could have kept. I could be driving it while I build the 66R.

• 6 months later...
Guest tommyduncan

This video brought back some nice memories for me. I was only 3 back then but the 2 lane road, am radio, and roadside food is something I will never forget.

Coincidentally I sold a nice 62 V6 GMC like the one at 3:25 in the video to buy my 55 Super...

Great post! Reminded me that I bought my first collector car, also red and white, back in September 1973, for $50. It was a 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 2dr hdtp. I spotted it at a cottage while on a lake fishing with a buddy. The owner wouldn't sell it that day, because it was a Sunday. I had to return the next day to consummate the deal. I took my then girlfriend, now wife, for rides before regrettably selling it. Glad I kept the girl, but shoulda kept the car too! Shoulda, shoulda, shoulda.....

I don’t think I posted this before. In July we went to Colorado for a vacation. We had a little time to spare so we found my old apartment in Denver. This is where I stayed when I was at school. So we took a few pictures. 41 years later.....

post-50945-143142773655_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142773661_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142773668_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142773672_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142773684_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142773695_thumb.jpg