unknown thing

jajolee

Guest prs519

I believe it is a regulator or governor of some sort. I am wondering if it might have somehow controlled electrical output on a generator, inasmuch as someone has

gone to great trouble to tighten the tie-wire in a manner inconsistent with the original tie method. I am thinking slight shaft wear may have caused the output (the linkage, whatever it controlled) to wander, so wire was used to tighten the nonsense out of it! Wild guess that the "screwdriver" drive shaft was actually an input variable determining the amount of feedback..

Definitely a governor ( see them on old ag equipment all the time). I think the two added wires were somebody's attempt to limit the movement of the actuator... either to set the impact at idle or to keep it from over revving. I've never seen a "screw driver" shaped drive like that on ag equip.

I"m guessing that port might be for incoming lubrication oil, which would then empty back into the crankcase via the drive opening. I've never seen that in an ag application either. Again it suggests a high hour application like aircraft.

Years ago when we had governors on the farm tractors, it was normal to secure them with wire so the farm hands could not play with the settings and over rev the engines. I knew of trucking companies that did the same to protect the engines. So it seems to me a governor that regulated a machine where there were multiple people involved would secure the setting to the owners liking. Much the same as a store putting the AC thermostat under lock and key.

It is a Pierce Governor from an American radial aircraft engine. We had as many as 30 brand new Wright Whirlwind engines in boxes. These were made by Continental under licence on orders from the Government because they were the first option to power the Medium M3 tanks and derivatives, Lee, Grant, and Sherman, et cetera. There were several minor changes to adapt to the tanks, but they were built to aircraft standards. Pistons were forged. When I was a teenager I worked on those engines, and even fitted new ones in tanks when necessary. Once I did a complete top overhaul on one that used oil heavily, and fitted it into a tank that was sold. it is still in running order, owned by a fellow who built a "tractor-pull" special around the engine. Nobody seemed to want the big Lees much when they were sold by auction. So they were sold in lots of 20 at 6 pounds and 10 shillings each , and similarly at 9 pounds and ten shillings. My father and a business partner owned around 200, and on-sold very many. Again as a teenager when home on school holidays, my father and I drove a pair of the parallel on either ends of a heavy steel cable, to clear the light scrub to create grazing land for our cattle. I could not have been very old, because the clutch pedal was very heavy. At the end of a day of pushing that clutch, I reckoned I was tending to walk in a wide clockwise arc, instead of in a straight line.

A new engine is the most beautiful piece of useful mechanical sculpture that I know.