Steering wheel repair

Guest captaincon

Guest captaincon

My steering wheel has a lot of cracks some small and some large . It it still quite strong and I have not noticed it flex .

what is the best thing to repair it with before I paint it thanks

My steering wheel has a lot of cracks some small and some large . It it still quite strong and I have not noticed it flex .

Define "best".

The "best" repair from a restoration standpoint is to have the wheel remolded by one of the various specialty vendors, at a cost approaching $1000. The "best" repair from a cost standpoint is one of the epoxy patch kits, such as the one sold by Eastwood.

• 3 weeks later...

Captain,

I ran into this, my casting was cracked, the actual bar was broken and I wanted to keep her original as possible at low cost..

1. I chipped away the bad chips, cracked parts, drilled pilot holes within the open mould for putty to grab onto, exposed the broken bars, took the wheel to a welding shop for $20 and got them to weld the breaks,
  2. Cleaned with wax and grease remover,
  3. Bought JBL marine putty (moisture resistant), and applied to all spots, let dry over 4 days to cure, can use any putty but the marine was recommended.
  4. Sanded the wheel all over, removing even the coating from the good spaces, and used an epoxy primer, sealed it
  5. will be painting and coating with a UV protector.

post-74294-14314246082_thumb.jpg

I'm very new to restorations, I saw this on youtube and helped me... hope it helps you

post-74294-143142460789_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143142460795_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143142460801_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143142460806_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143142460811_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143142460816_thumb.jpg

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)