Drive Plate

Jerry Alexander

I have reversed the rive plate on my '15 Model 22. However I noticed that this side does not have all the grooves it should have but since the front side was essentially smooth I figured the traction would be better. Well I tried her out the other day when we finally had some warm weather (miserable winter like most of you have had.). I immediately found that the old girl sill is having issues with moving uphill. I read an article in the latest issue of "Antique AUTOMOBILE" featuring a story about Micky Bohne. (BTW, I was thrilled to see a METZ featured on the cover along with some of their other collection). I was also excited to read that she considered their '14 Model 22 the most fun to drive. But I digress. I am wondering if anyone has had the drive plate 'rebuilt' or what others might have done to improve the ability of their METZ to dependably climb a hill. If there was a rebuild involved what are the particulars? Are there any places or anyone that might have a spare drive plate? I thank you in advance for your response to this matter.

• 1 month later...

I was advised to clean the drive plate with 409, which I did. In addition to that I was told to make sure the distance between the drive plate and teh pulley was no greater than the width of a hack saw blade. I followed that suggestion as well. Then I tested the car and I say to the world "PROBLEM CURED!" Thanks for the advice.