If you could change one thing .... what would it be

Finfan1

I would change the side mirrors. It seems like they are to close - when I try to use the mirrors I have to move my head back. I'm 5'6'' so maybe I have to move my seat up closer than other people.

The mirrors also look like they were just taken off a Buick Century - bigger more stylish mirrors would have looked better.

Guest HessLakeGuy

How tight the hubcaps fit!!!!!! I know they have to stay put on the wheel, but there has to be a balance somewhere.

Plus, there is no cut out spot in the wheel to insert ANYTHING to get the cap off. I cannot imagine how you can take a cap off along side of a road in the dark using the supplied lug wrench. I have enough trouble getting them off on my driveway using rags everywhere to protect the wheel and the cap and using a thin plastic pry bar.

It is amazing how many nicked wheels and scratched caps that I have seen over the years...........

Tom

I have no issue with the mirror placement as it relates to the visibility/angle. I do wish they would not have mounted them though the vent glass. I've never clipped one yet and broken a window, but I dread the possibility. There is also the issue of the foam rubber gasket breaking down from age. These will eventually allow water leaks through the vent window triangular opening causing interior water damage. As if we don't already have enough trouble with the weather stripping.

KDirk

Guest Corvanti

sometimes in older vehicles with power mirrors - a gentle finger push while the power is on in the direction you wish, will "persuade" to go a little farther.

also with several back surgeries, i've found that a small (2 inch) convex stick-on mirror in a corner of the driver's side mirror helps seeing "objects" that may not be seen before a necessary quick lane change.

re: the title of the thread - a supercharged V-6 (doable), a V-8 and rear wheel drive (not so much doable):(...

and since i'm "old school" - a carb, etc. and no computers!!!:P

Aux input with the stock radio is trivial. Though it could easily have been externalized.

Back in the late''80s, my dad and I went to the San Francisco Auto Show. I dimly recall seeing a Reatta coupe on display. I had just purchased my 944, so viewed it through that prism. The lack of analog gauges and manual transmission were immediate turn offs. (OK, that is two things.) I didn't realize how cool the CRT setup was. I also dimly recall the marketing guy telling my dad that a convertible was coming out. Little did I know dad would buy one just a few years later.

Run the clock forward 20+ years, and I now have the convertible. I still like analog gauges and manual transmissions, but perhaps as I've gotten older, they are less important now. My main issue with the convertible is its road feel and handling. As many know, the convertibles have been re-enforced in a number of ways to reduce "cowl shake", but it is still there. It is a tough problem to solve in a unibody car. And if I were going to participate in an autocross, I would take my 944 (or even my wifes C230 Sport - which handles like it is on rails) over the Reatta any day of the week. New struts all around and 16" or even 17" wheels would probably help the handling a lot.

But going all the way back to the beginning - perhaps the single biggest thing was the decision to not build the car at the same plant as the other E-body cars (Riv, Toronado, Eldo/Seville). This meant the Reatta pricing had to take into account the entire overhead of the Craft Center - making it much more expensive than it should have been. If the pricing had been the same or a bit lower than the Riviera, Buick would have sold many more of them. This would have have paved a much better road for parts availability, follow-ons, and aftermarket support.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Get rid of that diabolical Teves ABS and put on "normal" brakes.

And if I could wish for a second one? This car is way too heavy and I can feel it when I drive. This car needs to go on a 500-600 lb diet. :(

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

The 90 'vert is my DD and turns heads everywhere. I did add GM 16x7 snowflakes. It is designed to cruse and does that very well. Now if you want to talk about 600 lb lighter with a manual trans, 18/19" wheels, and more power than needed then I just bought a Crossfire for about 16% of the MSRP. I consider it a better Fiero since use for much the same thing.

So the Reatta 'vert is perfect as it is for what I want, just need to update the electronics to this century. Have had to do some maintenance on the Teeves but minor and mostly protecting the sensors once I learned that the error codes are not exactly biblical in accuracy. Am just fortunate to live in a time an place where I am not limited to just one and so each vehicle can be suited to a particular purpose.

Ok, I will add my list of shoulda beens:

1. A targa top option. There was a prototype shown in the excellent Reatta pictorial histroy book. I thought it looked good and was a nice compromise between coupe and roadster.Edit: Zoltan beat me to the punch on this one.

2. A hard top for the roadster. ASC flirted with this as seen in the two photos circulated a while back. Allante got one but I suppose for $20k more than a Reatta that made sense. Given the already bloated price of the Reatta vert, it was never destined to be offered.

3. True 16 way seats as in the 86 (or was it 87?) Rivi T-type. And a properly thought out dual cupholder. The afterthought drink holder in the 91 doesn't count IMO.

4. Heated mirror on pass side for us suckers who tolerate bad winters. Hey, we can't all live in Florida or Cali.

5. The color CRT as used on the 89-92 Toronado. Yes, it was optional on the Toro and should have been so on the Reatta as well with the regular radio and ECC as standard.

I'm sure I think of others.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Here's my list.

1. Taillights that don't cloud up.

2. Chrome bumpers that don't tarnish.

3. Cup holders.

4. Supercharged engine.

5. Front clip, rear spoiler and dual exhaust of a Fiero Formula. I think the rounded lines of the Formula front end would compliment the rounded lines of the Rear of the Reatta. I had a Formula and I admit that I would love to have a cross between it and the Reatta. However, I wouldn't trade the luxury and ride of the Reatta to have the Formula back again.

post-52331-143142435562_thumb.jpg

click photo to enlarge

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

You had a Fiero Formula?

I kinda regret getting an 85 GT and not holding out for a Formula as a second Fiero . :(

You had a Fiero Formula?

I kinda regret getting an 85 GT and not holding out for a Formula as a second Fiero . :(

Yep, I had a nice Formula. If it had more leg room I would still have it. Another turn off was no power steering and no option to add it. With the wide tires and quick steering ratio it was pretty hard to turn in a parking lot. My wife hated that about it. When I got rid of it I immediately started looking for something similar with more room. After looking for about a year I found my Reatta. I have no regrets. Below is a photo of my Formula.

post-52331-143142437534_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I would change the side mirrors. It seems like they are to close - when I try to use the mirrors I have to move my head back. I'm 5'6'' so maybe I have to move my seat up closer than other people.

The mirrors also look like they were just taken off a Buick Century - bigger more stylish mirrors would have looked better.

i was looking at my car when i changed the mirror.i think with a cnc machined piece of aluminium to flush the mount to the outside of the glass, other mirrors could be adapted.you would lose the remote part unless the new mirror was compatible.the mirrors on my camaro are much wider.or we could do like they did overseas and mount them on the fenders.lol

Guest Mc_Reatta
Gullwing doors would be pretty cool on my convertible, but it would be quite an engineering challenge...

You'll just have to settle for Lambo doors.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH_7H6vNgYurYjNir1Q9Mg1VUGE2jqYhT0vZjYFjjJk_j8WdtT2Q

• 9 months later...