1951 Hornet Carburetors

Guest Len Sholes

Guest Len Sholes

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a problem that a friend of mine is having with his car. When you start it up gas will leak out of one of the carburetors sometimes. If you tap it it stops leaking and all is ok. I took the rear carburetor apart and could not find any signs of what would cause the needle to stick and ther float level was correct. When I went to start up the engine it leaked, I tapped it and no more leaks. A few days later when I started the engine it was the front carb that leaked. I talked to the previous owner and he tells me that it did this when he owned the car and all he did was turn on the electic fuel pump and check to see if either one of the carbs was leaking and if so he would just tap it on he would not have any more problems that day. He also told me that he had had the two carbs rebuilt and it did not make any difference. He also tells me that he was told that Hudson published a bulletin on this problem and how to correct it but he has no other details. I have checked on the web to see if I could find this information but have had no luck. I am wondering if anyone knows what the cure is for this problem. The new owner of this vehicle is looking for me to cure the problem as like he says it is not acceptable the way it is now. My thoughts are if some one already has come up with a cure it sure would save me a lot of time and frustation in trying to solve it.

Also on the plumbing of the fuel lines to the carburetors the main feed line from the mechanical fuel pump goes to a fuel filter assembly which is connected to a vaccuum line to the intake manifold. The discharge line is Teed and plumbed to the two carburetors. What is the purpose of the vaccuum line?

Thanks for any help I can get on this. Len

Len, you might also post a message at the Hudson club's "open forum" at http://forum.hetclub.org/ . (This involves a free, 3-part registration process, made necessary by the number of spammers on the internet). There are a lot of Hudson experts there who could probably answer your question. I am assuming your friend has the "Twin H-Power" dual carb setup, but you might confirm that in your message, if and when you post it at that forum.

Guest ski4life65

As far as the plumbing......it sounds like you have a dual action fuel pump. The top of the pump does not pump fuel, only air. It is used to help the vacuum from the engine to operate the wipers. One line will go to wipers, and the other to the manifold. The bottom of the pump is for fuel. One line comes into pump from fuel tank, and the other up to the filter/carbs.

As far as leaking, it sounds like the float needle is sticking. There is a kit that helps with this problem. I will look to see if I can find the info on where to purchase. Very common on Hudsons.

• 3 weeks later...