1965 Dodge Power Wagon *SOLD*

*SOLD*

In the past few years, vehicles that many of us always seemed to take for granted have taken off in a big way. For example, good MGBs and VW Beetle convertibles are no longer $5000 and growing on trees. Perhaps the most meteoric rise I've personally seen as a dealer is the Dodge Power Wagon. They've always been cool and yes, for decades, you could buy a decent one for the cash you scooped out of your sofa cushions. But today? Not so much. We sold a really rough one last year for nearly $20,000, a good-running original one for a bit more than that, and that incredible Cummins turbo-diesel resto-mod just a few weeks ago for nearly six figures. Three others sold at Barrett-Jackson in January for between $70,000 and $99,000. No doubt about it, the Dodge Power Wagon is an A-list collectable today.

So why the big preamble? Because I will undoubtedly get guys telling me that the price on this freshly restored 1965 example is, shall we say, ambitious. But having sold more than a few in the last two years and suddenly finding myself as one of the largest dealers of these big brutes, I'm telling you that this is only the beginning. The good ones are going to be restored into great ones, the basket cases are going to be resurrected, and there's going to be a lot of money flowing through Power Wagon restoration shops in the next few years.

I think the appeal of these trucks is the look, because nothing this side of a mil-spec HUMVEE looks as butch. This one is wearing dark blue paint, which actually looks elegant and upscale, a wonderful contrast on the industrial-strength bodywork. There's no metallic in the finish, so it looks right on the ancient Dodge bodywork, and with a recent cut-and-buff, it's probably the second-nicest paint job in our showroom (with #1 going to the 99.5-point Chrysler Town & Country). Fit and finish are excellent, with doors that close with an easy click and a hood that opens and closes without a wrestling match--fellow Power Wagon owners know what I'm talking about. The few chrome bits were re-plated or replaced, hard to know which, and the bed has the now standard urethane finish that makes it look as polished as the hardwood at Madison Square Garden. You won't put it to work--it's just too pretty--but there's no denying that someone spent the long dollar to make it beautiful.

The interior is plain and functional, but the devil is in the details. The gray vinyl bench is reasonably comfortable, but even this tall truck can generate enough cornering force to send you sliding to the other side if you're not careful. But note the metal door panels, with the driver's side featuring a handy arm rest, and the headliner is correct fiberboard that fits superbly. The gauges are all rebuilt and fully functional, with the knobs underneath controlling the choke ©, lights (L), and heater blower (B). There's also a T-handle which is a locking hand throttle, critical when your truck can also be used as a powerplant with its PTO. The winch is probably strong enough to pull a house off its foundation, but because it's powered by the engine, it WILL NOT stop if you get a hand tangled up in the cable, so be careful! No frills inside, but note the nicely finished rubber floors with very neatly made grommets around the control levers, which is a neat touch. Turn signals have been added for safety.

Power Wagons use a version of Chrysler's bulletproof inline-six, which was upgraded to 251 cubic inches in 1961. While dimensionally similar to the ones in passenger cars, these engines were built on a separate assembly line and are intended for heavy-duty work. This one is fully rebuilt and runs superbly, starting easily thanks to a 12-volt electrical system and an Optima battery. It still uses the original carburetor and oil bath air cleaner, the giant radiator up front would cool a nuclear reactor, and it's dressed in red paint which isn't technically correct but makes for a highly-detailed look under the hood. The 4-speed manual shifts well thanks to synchromesh on the top three gears (another desirable feature of the late Power Wagons), and the axles have 4.88 "road gears" instead of the towering 5.88 gears that most Power Wagons used, so it'll cruise at 55 MPH without complaining. Heavy-duty wheels are military-issue and wear brand new Michelin off-road radials that cost about $400 each.

We're asking $59,900, and if you think you can find one and restore it to this level for less cash, you're nuts. The Power Wagon movement is happening, I'm watching it in real time, and if you've wanted one, now is the time because they won't be getting cheaper and an awful lot of them are going to get expensive restorations just like this in the next few years. And quite honestly, I've never driven any other vehicle that attracts as much attention as one of these, big Full Classics included.

post-31138-143142427273_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427275_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427278_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314242728_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427282_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427285_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427287_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427289_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427292_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427294_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427296_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142427299_thumb.jpg