Can I put my 1924 4 cyl on an engine stand

Guest rameses32

Guest rameses32

I know that seems like a silly question, but the flange at the rear of the engine is rather thin and I do not wish to destroy my freshly rebuilt engine, I need to install all new gaskets and it would be much easier to do on an engine stand. I'm talking about one of those cheap engine stands with 4 wheels and four mounting points on the back of the engine. The stand is not the problem, it can more than handle the weight of the engine I am just concerned about the engine flange can handle it?

Thank you

Charley Loomis

Guest rameses32

Was that a complete engine you had on a stand, head and all. And the stand I am talking about is one of thoes $50 jobbies.

The engine was complete from pan to head minus the manifold and bolt ons. The stand is probably heavier than the $50 cheapies. I was very careful moving around though. I didn't want to bounce it on the stand too much.

Guest rameses32

Thank you for your help, put it on the stand and everything is fine, stripped the engine and am cleaning it up, hope to have it back together and painted by the weekend:)

Bob, Jason, and JayG,

I have a 1933 Plymouth PD six cylinder that I want to work on. This engine is a little longer than the 4 banger. Same idea is to mount on stand using the clutch housing bolt holes that mount the transmission. I have a 1970's version of a Snap On engine stand it is robust but I worry like Rameses32 what do you think?

Chris

see my restoration thread under "Paint Colors 1933 Plymouth Convertible Coupe" for pictures of this car.