Help with Renault Juvaquatre?

Guest Migel

Guest Migel

Hi,

I recently found a good deal on a renault juva, a '57 dauphinoise to be specific, in "fixer-upper" condition. Can anyone point me in the direction of threads/topics/posts/blogs/etc about restoring this or similar models of juvas? In terms of general restoration, i'm familiar with the specifics of paint removal, patching rusted out spots, etc etc, but the car has a few quirks(like the lack of a real chassis) that I would love to see how others worked with or around.

Thanks!

Guest Migel
Depanoto has some parts, I think. Most of your information will come from French web sites, so learn French or use Google translator!

There are a few books on the Juva. Finally, the Juvaquatre Home Page. More research will turn up other things.

Phil

Thanks for the links, I had found the juva homepage, but google translate never works too well for me, the words get translated but the composition is different.........

Nevertheless, I an in the process of observing all pictures and trying to make sense of google translate on that website at the moment.

Is there really no stateside-based blogs or restoration logs? I tried to find info on it via google but there really wasn't much in english.

thanks.

Guest Migel
There is an active Renault club in the UK; they might be of assistance. Since the Juvaquatre was never imported to the US, there is not much information on it here.

Phil

huh, I wondered why no US forums had much info.....

I've already pm'd the admin of the UK Renault forums, and am waiting for a reply.

• 1 year later...

Using Google translate is fine but you must be aware that French grammar and sentence construction is "different".

I use it (Google Translate) all the time for my posts on the Renault d'Avant Guerre Forum. <renault d'avant="" guerre="" forum.="">You may have to reverse the process a couple of times but eventually you will get your message across.

Despite rumors to the contary the French can be understanding but you have to establish your credentials first. It is a complete mistake to think that all French speak and understand English. Nothing is further from the truth.

Once they appreciate that you are a genuine enthusiast, you will find some (not all) are prepared to give all the assistance they can but they are not miracle workers and it may (will) take time.

Bernie j.</renault>

P.S. I am also a member of the UK, Renault Freres Club. It is a comparitively small club mainly interested in early (pre 1920s) Renaults. They do not carry very much in the way of spares, again you have to appreciate the huge range of Renault models. For later (after 1950) models you may do better with the Renault Club in Australia. As the name indicates the R.A.G is primilary interested in pre WW2 cars.

Just remember:- French Cars are....... French!

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Guest Migel
Using Google translate is fine but you must be aware that French grammar and sentence construction is "different".

I use it (Google Translate) all the time for my posts on the Renault d'Avant Guerre Forum. <renault d'avant="" guerre="" forum.="">You may have to reverse the process a couple of times but eventually you will get your message across.

Despite rumors to the contary the French can be understanding but you have to establish your credentials first. It is a complete mistake to think that all French speak and understand English. Nothing is further from the truth.

Once they appreciate that you are a genuine enthusiast, you will find some (not all) are prepared to give all the assistance they can but they are not miracle workers and it may (will) take time.

Bernie j.</renault>

P.S. I am also a member of the UK, Renault Freres Club. It is a comparitively small club mainly interested in early (pre 1920s) Renaults. They do not carry very much in the way of spares, again you have to appreciate the huge range of Renault models. For later (after 1950) models you may do better with the Renault Club in Australia. As the name indicates the R.A.G is primilary interested in pre WW2 cars.

Just remember:- French Cars are....... French!

Much appreciated!

I've found that a few parts from the Renault 5 such as the head gasket and the oil pan seals can be made to work in this engine, so at the moment I've yet to be completely stuck for parts, although i've yet to start on the body...

I'll look into the possibilities of getting parts from Australia, there are a few French parts stores that list many of the original car parts online, but I was unable to make them work with a foreign card:(

Either Visa or Mastercard should work internationally. Many firms wil not accept American Express. DEPANOTO are almost impossible, they hardly ever reply to e-mails and even foreign orders for their catalogue parts on their website are sometimes ignored. You really need a friend in France who lives near enough to go and buy parts and pay in cash. Even then there can be long waits. I have all but given up with them.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Electricben

congratulqtions with your Renault Juvaquatre/Dauphinoise 1957.

It is a great car to restore with simple technics.

I can offer you some NOS parts for this car like a brown camshaft pinion, a headset and all ignitionparts (please state your make of ignition, SEV, Ducellier or RB). Maybe also carbonbrushes for starter/generator and flasher unit.