I charged the battery backwards and got electricaLsmoke from below the battery

While I'm pulling the battery tray take a guess what I smoked.

Did I mention that yesterday was a REALLY bad day?

With any luck you have a V6 or the 8v turbo and you just killed the engine and cruise controll. If you've got an automatic you probably did that controller too, they all hook together.

With any luck you have a V6 or the 8v turbo and you just killed the engine and cruise controll. If you've got an automatic you probably did that controller too, they all hook together.

Now how much worse do you think his day is after telling him that?

There is absolutely nothing he can smoke now that will make his day better.:rolleyes:

It was one of those "ahah!" moments.

Update.

I replace the black fusible link, then checked all the fuses and replaced 4. It started but the voltage went to 16 at idle so I shut it down......Now it won't start.

It showed codes 41 and 46 after starting and the ABS light stayed on. Now there is nothing. The gauges work and the headlights etc work but no fuel pump whine when the key is on or solenoid click when I turn the key to start. Code is 11.

The good news is I repaired the driver's mirror on the hail damaged TC.

It was one of those "ahah!" moments.

Update.

I replace the black fusible link, then checked all the fuses and replaced 4. It started but the voltage went to 16 at idle so I shut it down......Now it won't start.

It showed codes 41 and 46 after starting and the ABS light stayed on. Now there is nothing. The gauges work and the headlights etc work but no fuel pump whine when the key is on or solenoid click when I turn the key to start. Code is 11.

The good news is I repaired the driver's mirror on the hail damaged TC.

Check the fuses again, a hosed unit will blow fuses. No fuel pump whine may not be a problem as it stops pumping when you reach full pressure and when the motor isn't running you're not using gas.

ABS full time could mean bad ABS controller and a blown voltage regulator after a polarity reversal is no surprize. You could have cooked a couple sensors, but my best guess is you will be needing an engine controller as that affects ABS, speed controll and tranny if auto, only way to know for sure is to swap it out with a known working unit. You could save time by swapping all suspect controllers and starting fresh, check fuses again before buying anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday morning a big fire truck scraped the left front of my wife's winter TC!

Now the good news! I got everything straight on the red one with the fried wires. I removed the alarm and it starts and the voltage is good!!!!!

Now I have to start pulling parts off the parts car to replace the damaged parts on the one that got whacked yesterday.

In my garage is an 88 Daytona T top. I was just going to replace the frayed seat belt. Hint....The TC belts work with a mod. It's basically the same except for switching a couple parts. All the holes for the change are there.. So anyway, to replace the belt, EVERYTHING behind the door except the carpet has to come out! Yes back seats too. So I'm installing new headliner, pulling the box that controls the "pop" up headlights, installing new weather strip at the bottom of the windows (T top camaros had the same molding). I got the exterior at a junkyard for $4. :) Replacing the plastic molding around the door windows that got whacked in a hail storm 2 years ago. I have some dents to pull from the hail and I'm going to get a stud welder from Harbor Freight to pull those....Then maybe a repaint. I repaired the upholstery a couple years ago by buying another Daytona with the same interior. It was out of state so I gave it to someone in that state and he sent me the upholstery! The color was rare on the Daytona. Light beige.

After that, I might pull the 87 Shelby Lancer in and start on it. I have an engine already built for it. I'm saving the original block since it is a matching numbers one of 800 cars. Oh it's an Az car that hasn't been on the road for years with no rust. Faded paint but I can make an old piano look better than the new stuff with 9 coat lacquer finish. I have also painted cars.

Am I going good for 70 years old?