shift knob info

Guest 65ctlss

Guest 65ctlss

Making slow progress on my 65 Cutlass convertible - recently converted it to a 4-speed, but am having trouble finding a shift knob. The car has bucket seat - so I put in a console. The transmission and shifter came from a 65 Cutlass donor car....in Idaho. It has reverse gear in the upper left - and a lockout for reverse. None of the OPGI / Summit Racing shifter knobs will fit - even the universal ones. Does anyone know -- based on this meager description -- what I have here? ...or what kind of shifter knob I should be looking for? I've included a picture.....any info appreciated. Thanks!

post-86673-143142424861_thumb.jpg

Well, your first problem is that you don't have a correct Olds shifter for a Cutlass/442. The 1964-65 cars used a Muncie shifter with a flat stick and no lockout function. The 1966-72 cars used a Hurst shifter with a similar flat stick. You have some other GM shifter that will likely require an OEM style knob. The limited view in the photo makes me think it's a shifter from an Olds full size. The Jetstar and Delta 88s with manual trans used this style shifter. These are MUCH more rare than the correct A-body shifter. Personally, I'd sell that shifter to someone who needs it for a big car and use the proceeds to buy a correct shifter for a Cutlass.

Looks exactly like the shifter I have, from a 65 Chevelle SS, that came from the factory with a Muncie 4 speed. Might want to check to see if it is the same shifter. I don't want to get rid of mine. If I could find it, I would unscrew the nob and get you a picture. Give me a day or two. My knob has "SS" on it, I think and is walnut.

Check with / or Google, "The Filling Station", and see what they have.

Bill H

• 10 months later...