Nuts and Bolts - Correct Colors

AJFord54

I am in the process of doing final detailing on my Ford and wondered if any of the experts on this forum could give me some advice?

I'm removing just about every nut and bolt from the car and cleaning, wire brushing, painting, etc. I am always confused as to what bolts and washers should be black vs. natural. I have the same question regarding pulleys.

Did the manufacturer ever say put the generator together and spray it afterwards, which would include nuts and the pulley? How about on the frame - large nuts that would be about 7/8" inches - natural or black. My general gut feeling is that they should be natural rather than black, but I'd like some confirmation from any of you that would know for sure.

I would assume that the 54 Ford Club has a judging system. If so, a judge that judges in that system would be who you should ask to get an expert opinion on that question. AACA judges don't know every little detail about every make and model. AACA judging is designed to judge many differerent makes and models, and most AACA Judges tend to focus on the makes and models that they know the most about, while still having general knowledge about other makes and models in case the find themselves in a position that that have to judge something that they know less about.

For example, I have owned Model A Fords and as such, I have documents that show me the correct finish for every bolt and nut on a Model A Ford. I have a pretty good idea about those questions on a few eras of Buicks since I own or have owned a few of them. I have never owned a 54 Ford and don't know that much about them. I have never submitted a request to judge the class that has 54 Fords in it, and have never judged 54 Fords as an AACA National Judge.