1967 vista cruiser

67conv

Just got the dash and steering column back in the vista last weekend, all wires connected from the firewall back. Is there a way to test lights, switches etc. without the engine and other front end parts assembled to the car? I though about connecting the one harness for the engine . Would the starter need to be connected to the harness and grounded to the frame. If anyone has a better plan let me know, I just want to check my progress so I can correct any problems before I go any further. Thanks Tony

Apply +12V to the stud on the horn relay where all the other power wires connect. You don't need the starter wiring. Do take care that there are no unconnected terminals grounding out before you apply power, however.

Thanks Joe for the reply,I had planned on connecting my pos cable to the horn relay and neg cable to frame. I've already connected the starter, so I'll test that circuit also.If you have any other tips let me know. I'll do the test tomorrow and let you how it goes.

Thanks Joe for the reply,I had planned on connecting my pos cable to the horn relay and neg cable to frame. I've already connected the starter, so I'll test that circuit also.If you have any other tips let me know. I'll do the test tomorrow and let you how it goes.

The starter normally grounds through the block, so you'll need to use a jumper cable to ground it to the battery.

Thanks for the tip on the starter,I didn't get that far along today.Most of my time was spent on the dome lights. I had dash lights,courtesy lights,glove box lights,clock worked but no dome lights.After checking every thing we finally(I think) found the problem.One of the rear jamb switches was bad. I'll have to clean it in some rust remover and clean the paint off of the jamb.Everything on the rear of the car worked fine.

Got the switch back in and checked the dome lights. When I open the rear door the dome lights come on but when I open the front door only the courtesy lights work. I would think when the front door is open both courtesy and dome lights would come on.I'll check my service manual tomorrow to see if it has a trouble shooting guide.If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks Tony