March Bugle is now online

Bill Stoneberg

Guest my3buicks

Bill, why is the annual financial report of the club missing from this issue. By-laws require annual financial reports. Standard Operating Procedure #4:

"Accounting:

A financial statement shall be published annually in the Buick Bugle within six months after the close of the fiscal year" . Again, Just saying!

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I thought the Dynaflow article was incredibly interesting and well written. No telling how many hours Pete spent researching it. And he was helped enthusiastically by the other contributors of this historic article. Don't be surprised if it wins one of the annual Bugle literary awards given out at the National meet in July.

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

I also thought the Dynaflow article was totally outstanding, and very much to the point of Buick history. A well written article like this is a real pleasure to read. We've all heard about the Great Fire of '53, but to get to SEE the fire (first time I ever saw those photos), and the resulting product changes at the other GM divisions, and what it took to accomplish them, etc, etc is great stuff! A very dramatic and historically important event. First rate material.

Don Williams

BCA # 10272

I'm sure I'm not the only one that enjoyed that article. Articles done on particular models or years are interesting only to those few members that have that year or that model. But articles like this engage the interest of a much larger audience because it goes beyond the narrow scope of year or model. The photos were great, the official documentation was great, and the explanations as to what was changed to fit the Dynaflows to other makes was great. That event was truly historic and it shows what can be done in a short amount of time when people rally around a cause. It was inspirational.

This isn't necessarily tied to the March issue, but, has the BCA ever thought of going back and scanning old issues to make accessible online as well? I'm a new member, so have access back to only January of this year, but I think it would also help us new guys out if Buick info. were a little bit more accessible and easily available. The Old Car Manual Project and especially the Chevrolet variant of that site has TONS of uploaded material available at no charge. Yes the site creator laid a lot of the groundwork, but users of the site also have the ability to scan their own libraries and send them in to be added. There's some Buick stuff there, but not a whole lot. Knowing that some of our replacement parts are hard enough to find as it is, why can't we help perpetuate the love of Buick's a little more by at least making some of the documentation free? Hmm, x number of dollars for a manual, that I may or may not need the entire copy of, or the same x dollars used for parts and repairs? Though I love books and docs., my budget has to get set aside for parts and repairs at this point. Yes some books/manuals are extremely rare, but if they can someone else out, put the info. out there! Not everyone is a hard core collector, some of us just need a usable copy for research or to make a repair. I know the AACA has a library, but searching their online database, best I can tell, gives you doc. titles only. That's great, except if I don't know what's in the document, I'm not going to pay them to make copies for me... Just a thought. I understand the August 04 Bugle has an article on brakes, would love to read it. I also know there was an issue on '50 Buicks as well, again would love to read, but don't have the budget to drop who knows how much for an old magazine...

I wasn't included in all the discussion at the time (2-3 years ago) but the host of the 1954 Buick Highway site once offered to do just what you speak of (scan back issues) for the BCA and assist with establishing them on-line. His offer was declined by "someone" within BCA "management". His fee for doing this was to be a token "paid BCA membership". So I'm sure that "someone" has probably been busy running copies through their scanner and we will see this in the near future. (BTW I have rare 1954 Skylark # 854 for sale if interested (why so rare you ask, only 836 were supposedly produced). call me at BR 549 if interested.)

Regarding:

I understand the August 04 Bugle has an article on brakes, would love to read it. I also know there was an issue on '50 Buicks as well, again would love to read, but don't have the budget to drop who knows how much for an old magazine...

Keep a look out on eBay for past Bugle's, they are generally priced fairly. and here is the August 04 article you referred to. click a few times and it will magnify.

post-31987-14314242828_thumb.jpg

Detail is severely lacking in the pictures/scans in the online version of the Bugle, to the point that it is impossible to read printed material. The print version of the Bugle is fine. It seems that a lower resolution version is submitted for online use.

I look forward to seeing a past issue archive to be someday established... In the meantime, thanks for the brake article. It was sadly funny to read that even back in '04 someone was making the same complaint I hear from behind a guy at the parts store yesterday about semi-metallics eating up rotors and drums. I def. have brake work to do this spring. I had 0 brake pressure yesterday when visiting (cleaning up a fuel leak) my Special in storage. Cylinders and hoses for sure to see if that helps and will then investigate master cylinder and shoes/drums at same time. If it comes down to mc and/or needing drums, may convert fronts to discs...

As for online version, I've read the last 3 okay, though haven't really found any reason to try to print any of the articles yet. I do however agree that trying to read the classifieds in the back can be a little hard at times.

As for online version, I've read the last 3 okay, though haven't really found any reason to try to print any of the articles yet. I do however agree that trying to read the classifieds in the back can be a little hard at times.

You can read the scan on page 23?

Oh yes, and Highway Patrol by the band BR 549 is a really good tune... Saw them play with the Brian Setzer Orchestra about 9-10 years ago.

Never heard BR549 do Highway Patrol. Jr. Brown yea. but I wasn't at the BSO gig 10 years ago neither. ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

No Willie, I can't read that scan either. (but I ain't complainin, jus sayin). I haven't gotten my hard copy yet so wondering, can it be read in it?

I would like to add to be sure and read the letters to the editor. Very interesting this month.

The scan on page 23 is very small print. I can barely make it out, but it is legible with a magnifying class. I don't believe most scans would pick this up, but I would think a digital version would if it could be enlarged with a zoom.

Guess you are right no both fronts...I've seen BR 549 play live; but, Junior Brown is the correct artist for Highway Patrol. Also, yes, scan on page 23 is pretty iffy online, though didn't put much attention to the article on differences in Dyanflow for other marquees that used them...a bit in the weeds for my level of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the site thinking I could pull up a Bugle from around November, but find that there are only the 3 latest issues available. Has it always been like this. Does this mean I am going to have to clean my desktop or worse yet the pile of stuff next to my desk to find the copy I am looking for. Oh dread!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously is that the limit of what is viewable?

I just went to the site thinking I could pull up a Bugle from around November, but find that there are only the 3 latest issues available. Has it always been like this. Does this mean I am going to have to clean my desktop or worse yet the pile of stuff next to my desk to find the copy I am looking for. Oh dread!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously is that the limit of what is viewable?

Can someone simply answer my question please.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Thanks Bill. Might I ask why it is limited to 3? Considering the way they are now posted and since the members now have a choice of how to receive their Bugle, shouldn't they be afforded the chance to look at older copies. I have considered going paperless but certainly not if I can't go back and pull up an old copy now and then.