Engines and Trannys

bclement

Ok, I apologize if this is a ramble or just dumb questions from a newbie. If the only way to tell the correct engine year is by cylinder bore and other things attached, ie aluminum heads, intakes, carburetors, air cleaners, heating systems, etc., how do I really know what I've got in my car? In my instance, the PO is not available to ask these questions, and so what's been done and for what reason may forever remain a mystery. Additionally, my car ('41 Continental Coupe) did not seem to come with either an overdrive transmission or a Columbia rear end, which if I read correctly seems odd. It could have and either or both could have been removed. Not that I care significantly about date correctness or 'data plate' build specs, how do I know what the original configuration could have been or really even begin to decipher what it is that I've got or why the PO thought that was the way to go?

I appreciate any and all feedback, good or bad. You can't possibly hurt my feelings, I appreciate hearing from anybody.

Thanks

Brad

--Many of these did not have overdrive, few roads existed which allowed 70 mph cruising..most were 2 lane

with need for burst of speed for passing..which was fine for 444 axle..and 3 gears..od / 2 speed was option.

The size of the dimples on sides of block id it as pre war or post war Engines were short lived in those days and

had block replacements almost for certain..They look so close, very few can see difference...Dress up with correct bolt ons..

--Benson Ford research center in Dearborn H Ford Museum can give you details of original production details from factory build card.

Hello. Where in Florida are you? National meet in St Petersburg the last of April first of May. I'm in Fort Myers and have owned several 41 Continentals. None of them had overdrive or columbia rear ends. I'm 74 and have been in L C's since 1955. Lee