Boyce motometer RADIO

Guest caroolxxx

Is this a car radio or a table top and is it factory made ? How old might it be?

Wayne

The part is a radiator temperature gauge for a car...a thermometer. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with radios. It is from the 1920s.

Guest AlCapone

The title states.......Boyce Motometer RADIO...so I had to assume it had something to do with a radio, correct ?

Wayne

The title states.......Boyce Motometer RADIO...so I had to assume it had something to do with a radio, correct ?

Wayne

Yes, if you do not know anything about them, you would think that. The key word is "Motometer". The "Radio" part is where the manufacturer or owner would have put (usually) the name of the car. There were MANY different styles....here is one for a Buick....

post-37352-143142420524_thumb.jpg

Guest mikeburch

It was just an advertising ploy. Only the finest cars had radios, in those days.

My Chevrolet truck has nothing to do with Silverado. It is just to associate you with driving the truck in the mountains of Colorado.

There are many examples out there.

mikeburch

Guest AlCapone

Thank you for adding to my eduation. Now I know a little bit about them. I still believe the word RADIO should have been omitted from the title as it confused me and possibly others who know nothing about them.

Wayne

Thank you for adding to my eduation. Now I know a little bit about them. I still believe the word RADIO should have been omitted from the title as it confused me and possibly others who know nothing about them.

Wayne

One of my books calls that one the "Boyce Radio" model motometer.

post-37352-143142420626_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142420636_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142420653_thumb.png

Wayne

There is no reason to leave out the word RADIO as it is written on the motometer and that is also the model of this particular motometer.post-33891-143142420649_thumb.jpgHoward Dennis

post-33891-143142420645_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142420651_thumb.png

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

hello keiser31, do you think I ask too much for my boyce motometer radio?

If the cable came with it, I would imagine that it might have fetched close to that. Being that it has no cable, I guess it would remain a shelf display item so the price would drop. Just my opinion....there may be others.

If its coming from a foreign country then $71 shipping is not too hard to believe. I shipped a book recently to Canada from PA that weighed less than four pounds and the shipping cost for it was $22 USD. That was using first class mail. Priority mail would have been $33.

Terry

viewpost-right.png

"hello keiser31, do you think I ask too much for my boyce motometer radio?

If the cable came with it, I would imagine that it might have fetched close to that. Being that it has no cable, I guess it would remain a shelf display item so the price would drop. Just my opinion....there may be others."

I have one of these and it does not need to have a cable hanging out of it.

If you look at the second photo in the original posting you will see a small brass stud sticking out below the glass window.

It is wired internally with the bulb up the top. The top part of the unit screws on to access the bulb.

You just plug a power wire from your lights onto the stud and it lights up. Makes it easy to completely remove the cap.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Dear Seller as per previous post, would you please provide a photograph of motometer taken on today's newspaper with today's date clearly visible.

Thanks, Wayne

Guest AlCapone

it must be sold because she no longer communicates with me. My last post and 3 private messages were ignored !

Wayne

Yes, it's possible that it's sold; or maybe the seller isn't home.

Another strong possibility--sorry to say--is that the seller disappeared

when you asked for proof of legitimacy. That last case, if true,

would indicate that the seller may not have been legitimate in the first place.

A courteous seller should at least respond to you if the item were sold.

I hope you still get a reasonable answer.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

The seller responded an hour ago by private email and said that she is very busy at work and in her personal life. She said she would have her husband contact me ???? Wayne

Guest AlCapone

I got a private message from the husband of caroolxxx, the seller today. He states that he has just returned from working at sea and he will now be responsible for dealing with potential buyers of his grandfather's motometer because caroolxxx is far too busy.

Wayne

CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION!

Maybe it's legitimate, but the "working at sea" pretense

is a proven lie frequently used by scam artists. One previous

thread in the AACA Forum, I remember, was discussing some

con man's claims about being away at sea.

And isn't it illogical that Caroolxxx, the seller, would advertise

a part and then be "far too busy" to actually sell it!

This makes it doubly important to get the picture of the

part on a clearly dated newspaper.

The big problem I see is how is the money exchange for the item [in this case, the motometer] to protect the buyer and the seller?

I used to use C.O.D. collect on delivery, but I have no idea it that service is still available from any form of shipping or delivery service, especially international.

I certainly would not send money until i had the motometer in my hands, and what seller would ship off an item without money in hand?

One of the good things about Ebay and Paypal is that Paypal will reverse the money exchange and return the money to your paypal account if the item is not delivered, or is badly misrepresented.

I have sent an email to this seller, and received a batch of photos of one side of the motometer, the motometer was resting on top of a printout of my email message to 'carola'. So I do believe the motometer does exist, in 'the flesh' [ 'in the metal'?]

But I received no response when I inquired how to pay for the motometer.

I suggested for 'Carola' to look into the cost for a C.O.D. transaction. at my cost.. But I got no response.

So I'm thinking that regardless of the price, or rarity of the item. I don't want to deal with a non comunicative seller. Life is too short to be taken in a scam.

GLong

I think you'll be much better walking the aisles

at Hershey and buying a Motometer, sight-seen, there.

"Carol" the seller is "too busy" to sell it; and when

your payment clears, you may find that the part

never arrives--and that her "husband" is once again

"working at sea" and can't be contacted.

Rather than working at sea, it may be that the seller

is working from a shanty in Nigeria, or a cramped

Communist concrete apartment in Russia.

Guest AlCapone

Yes John S, I believe you are correct. The husband five days ago was to contact me the next day which never happened. Obviously the warning signals have been so obvious that I have no interest in the item any longer. Do I want a lighted Motometer, yes. Do I want this one, no ! Wayne