new transmission

I want to chage the trans in my 63 impala ss I want replace the P G floor shift to a 4sp auto 700r4 with overdrive and mate it to a 350ci.has anyone ever done this if someone did how do they like the trans and was there any modifying that had to be done? If there are any pros/cons I would like to hear them. Thanks Guys in advance!!

• 2 years later...

I don't know about the conversion, But i just blew a 700r4 out of my 84 impala. and that's only got the 305. Up until then it's been acting funny (not dropping into gear from park, slow shift, ect) The replacement I got has been working for now, although when the car gets warmed up, it wants to skip second gear. If your looking for something to help put power to the ground reliably, I might look towards getting a tranny from a camaro or a vette. But maybe I just had a couple of sour ones by chance.

11 years and 80000 miles ago, I put a 700R4 in my 52 3100 daily driver (four seasons!).  It’s behind a 250 I6, and some of my install issues were due to the odd combo I had, but on the road not a lick of trouble.  I sourced a rebuilt from a local trans shop with a great reputation for less than online alternatives.  He set it up for my combo and just enough shift kit for precise shifting, not neck snapping.

I believe the 700R4 is longer than the PG and you’ll need a shortened drive shaft.  When you move the cross member, pay close attention to trans/pinion angles before drilling to avoid bad vibrations.  I ciphered that out after the fact.

The TV cable adjustment is critical to longevity.  Behind a small block, many solutions exist for TV cable mounting.  I had to fab mine, but I must’ve got it right.  It is going strong.

I was never happy with available converter lock up solutions, so I finally installed a microswitch into my aftermarket turn signal housing, with a relay, and now the onboard computer (me) can control when the converter locks up.  I never have to take my hand off the wheel.  When driving for gas mileage (99% of the time – it is my driver), I just leave it on so it locks when it hits 4th gear.  It does have the 4th gear lockup switch and a brake disengage switch too.

When I need to scoot, with that low first gear it gets up and goes, surprising Sam when I do.  She is used to my old man mileage driving.

I have no regrets.  The swap was worth it.

Thanks Huntz

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, Blayze said:

I don't know about the conversion, But i just blew a 700r4 out of my 84 impala. and that's only got the 305. Up until then it's been acting funny (not dropping into gear from park, slow shift, ect) The replacement I got has been working for now, although when the car gets warmed up, it wants to skip second gear. If your looking for something to help put power to the ground reliably, I might look towards getting a tranny from a camaro or a vette. But maybe I just had a couple of sour ones by chance.

THE TV  cable adjustment is CRITICAL to the well being of any 700R4 tranny.

If the adjustment is incorrect, the tranny will not survive.

On 12/28/2016 at 2:58 AM, bobg1951chevy said:

THE TV  cable adjustment is CRITICAL to the well being of any 700R4 tranny.

If the adjustment is incorrect, the tranny will not survive.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to have that checked out when i get the chance. I was pondering the possibility of a vacuum malfunction. When i got the A/C fixed and put a new belt on, I didn't bother to put the belt back on for the smog pump. shortly after that, i noticed that my vents would only blow air through the floor and defrost ports. I though I read something about the smog pump being a secondary vacuum source but I wasn't sure. now looking at it, if it is, then that explains why at cooler temps (more dense air and therefor more vacuum) it's fine but at warmer temps (less dense and less vac) it's a little funny with the shift. I'll get the TV cable looked at if the vacuum is functioning properly though.

• Like 1