I'm ready to pull out the V12 and transmission/overdrive. Anyone have any tips for a first timer?

Guest themagicisback

Guest themagicisback

Pictures below of my progress. Any tips from guys who have removed the engine/trans/overdrive? I don't want to break anything. :)

What's the best way to pull out the engine and transmission? I have a engine hoist with a hook, engine stand, chain. It looks like I'll be ordering a bracket for the engine stand to mount the engine. Is this the best route? After the engine and transmission get pulled the body work can begin!

post-98711-143142418115_thumb.jpgThis evening would have been great for a cruise!

post-98711-143142418109_thumb.jpg

post-98711-143142418112_thumb.jpg

FIRST off, I am not saying this is correct, but here's how I did it.Engine first, then gearcase.

I did NOTHING to the rear axle.

I removed the trans. cover from the floorboard for access to the gearcase-to-engine bolts

and for disconnecting the shifting.

I put a piece of (I Had maple) wood to support the gearcase on the front "wishbones"

I pulled the engine with the "cherry-picker" on the SIDE of the car', rolling the car backwards

after it was high enough to clear the front grille.

I then raised the gearcase and slid it out forward.

I am about to now do the reverse and install it.

This engine did NOT have the Borg-Warner overdrive; factory Columbia rear end.

Mike Lynch

post-39370-143142419111_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143142419116_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143142419121_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143142419125_thumb.jpg

Just a couple of notes. There are 2 bolts in each front motor mount, the bottom ones are harder to get at. In my 1947 the water pumps have to come off to better clear the stabilizer bar in front of them. I lifted the engine out over the front- it depends on where you have the room.

Guest themagicisback
Just a couple of notes. There are 2 bolts in each front motor mount, the bottom ones are harder to get at. In my 1947 the water pumps have to come off to better clear the stabilizer bar in front of them. I lifted the engine out over the front- it depends on where you have the room.

Good call ralphnof49! I didn't see the bottom bolts. I'm hoping the water pumps don't have to come off but I'll find out this weekend. This definitely saved some headache down the line.