1963 Wildcat - Freshening and Modification after a long nap

JJorgensen52

• 1 month later...

Good news! I have here now a correct T10-7B tailhousing with the right date code for this car, so I will be moving forward with getting the trans in, fabricating the shifter mount and linkage, and getting a front driveshaft section made.

Bad news. I haven't had any time for this project in a while. Hopefully after the holiday I will get a chance to do the tailhousing swap.

Happy early Thanksgiving, all!

• 4 months later...

Wow! It's been forever since I had a chance to work on this car. I've gotten deeply involved in building a 1950 GMC hot-rod/cruiser (if you're interested, click here) - but I am still slowly collecting Buick parts, and I've finally gotten the four speed tail housing swapped, cross member straightened and the whole affair is bolted up into the car. Score!

post-97346-143143059604_thumb.jpg

The next two steps are getting a new driveshaft mid-section made for the longer trans, and getting the shifter set up in the car. Hopefully this summer I will be focused on this one again.

post-97346-143143059579_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Well, this project has been dormant for a LONG time, I got tied up in too many other things...

Anyways, I'm going to be getting back into the transmission swap - the next thing I need to do is get a new center section for my driveshaft, and that leads to a question:

What output yoke should be in this car?

The service manual shows a 16 spline count on the T10 output shaft, but that yoke only uses 1310 series U-joints, where the original joints in the car were 1330. Has anyone with a manual trans car had to replace U-joints, and if so do you remember what series they were?

• 4 months later...

My previous question is now moot - I have acquired a complete transmission and shifter setup from a wrecked '64 Wildcat with 40k miles!! An old hot rodder stored them, along with the correct dual quad 425, back in the late '60s, for a race car he was building - but never finished. Very excited, need to clean everything up before I take any pictures, though.

I'm in the process of moving/building a new shop, so the 'Cat is in storage right now, sadly, but I hope to have it out in the fall and start working again!

Edited by JJorgensen52 (see edit history)