Clutch woes?

Guest TakinitEZ

Guest TakinitEZ

I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot a gear grinding issue. My 47 Cab has been sitting for about 30 years, only recently getting it back on the road. The clutch feels fine, but I'm not getting a full release from the flywheel I'm sure. It grinds even going into first at idle. Of course, I only did that once then started it in first to get it situated in my garage. Is it likely that something is frozen/rusted, a spring maybe, or bad bendix? I know the clutch itself is fine, although I have not tried an adjustment yet.

Looking for any and all advice.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot a gear grinding issue. My 47 Cab has been sitting for about 30 years, only recently getting it back on the road. The clutch feels fine, but I'm not getting a full release from the flywheel I'm sure. It grinds even going into first at idle. Of course, I only did that once then started it in first to get it situated in my garage. Is it likely that something is frozen/rusted, a spring maybe, or bad bendix? I know the clutch itself is fine, although I have not tried an adjustment yet.

Looking for any and all advice.

Clutch disks will sometimes "glue" themselves to either the flywheel or pressure plate when sitting for long periods of time. They will usually come loose with a little coaxing. If you have room start the car in gear with the clutch released and as the car moves hit the brakes. This will usually free the clutch.

Guest TakinitEZ

I'll give that a try. Will that work in reverse too? That way I could go back and forth...no plates yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TakinitEZ

Thanks so much for your guidance on this one. Finally warm enough here to get the car out of the garage. Tried this yesterday and it freed right up. Shifts smoothly in all gears. Awesome!

Believe it or not, when I was running it briefly down my back road to test it out, I was in the process of turning around and some guy in a pickup was waiting while I did so. As soon as I backed up, he darted in front of me and spun gravel at me. Man was I pissed!!! Couldn't do anything about it though. Hope I see him again sometime. What kind of idiot does stuff like that to a classic car?

• 3 months later...
Guest suebelle

TakinitEZ, your car looks Burgundy. If it is(or close) what color is the interior. CAn you post or send any pictures.

Many thanks, SueBelle

Thanks so much for your guidance on this one. Finally warm enough here to get the car out of the garage. Tried this yesterday and it freed right up. Shifts smoothly in all gears. Awesome!

Believe it or not, when I was running it briefly down my back road to test it out, I was in the process of turning around and some guy in a pickup was waiting while I did so. As soon as I backed up, he darted in front of me and spun gravel at me. Man was I pissed!!! Couldn't do anything about it though. Hope I see him again sometime. What kind of idiot does stuff like that to a classic car?

You'd be surprised how successful a couple of rounds of buckshot from your 12ga. is in getting his attention! Just a couple of shots in the air to let 'em know you mean business. Also if you don't have a shotgun you get his license plate number and file a hit and run report. He damaged your vehicle on purpose and left the scene. You might get a new paint job out of it!