Charlotte: CARS AND JUDGES

Ya'll come! Bring a car(s) and judge.

I'll be looking for all those folks who told me they were coming to Charlotte at the Winter Meet in Florida (Great Show, BTW)!

The weather will definitely be warmer than now and the AutoFair is really shaping up!

Phillip Cole

Meet Chair

Charlotte has always been my favorite show. Good location, nice people, great food, reasonable hotel rates in the area, lots of stuff to do, gigantic flea market, etc. Now if I can just get my trailer out of the snow!!!

Charlotte has always been my favorite show. Good location, nice people, great food, reasonable hotel rates in the area, lots of stuff to do, gigantic flea market, etc. Now if I can just get my trailer out of the snow!!!

Mother Nature had better warm things up pretty soon for a good, long time or my trailer is not moving anytime soon either.

With the temperature at 22 right now, Mother Nature has her work cut out for her here in the Reading, PA area. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving tomorrow afternoon for Charlotte with my sweetheart. Spending the night in Richmond. Charlotte will be her first car show and event of any kind ever!! Weather forecast is fantastic. I do have some work to do in the lot at Auto Fair, but not too much. I hope this doesn't spoil her for future events!!!

Guest Art Griffin

WOW!! Charlotte was great again this year!! Meet Chairman Phillip Cole and his wife, and Chief Judge Bill Garrett, and all members of the Hornets Nest Region worked hard and did an outstanding job!! I enjoyed everything, and I have been coming to Charlotte every year since the AACA National Spring Meet has been held in conjunction with the Charlotte AutoFair. Thanks, Hornets Nest Region, AACA!!!!

Art Griffin

Dave, it was great meeting your "Sweetheart". She had a smile on her face each time I saw her.

All of us "old guys" were really impressed with the way you had "trained her" for the "spit and shine" segment of the antique car hobby. I mentioned your success to my wife after getting home a bit ago. She just looked at me and frowned. My hat's off to you. I guess some guys just have their "stuff" together.

It was a great Charlotte, lots of sunshine, a fun day of judging, and plenty of friendship makes for a special meet.

Wayne

It was a great meet....again!!! Well organized, great weather, great food, great people(I have a story to relate that I will put on my next post). Wayne, I will agree that Deb is a gem. But, I can not take any training credit. She is a naturally kind and helpful person and all I did was answer her questions when she asked how to do some things. Without her help, there is no way that I could have gotten to see all of the Auto Fair that I did. The First Junior belongs to her, not to me!!!

Now my Auto Fair Story. Since it was her first Auto Fair and car show of any kind, we wanted to maximize our time. Because of my "sweethearts" help, I was pretty well done with detailing and work on cars by Wednesday Afternoon. As such, I had 2 days of free time to roam the flea market. We hit it pretty hard on Thursday and again on Friday morning, I had developed a large blister on my right foot and looked pretty disabled by lunch time. We ate a snack and decided to head back inside the speedway to see the "new" vendors that had arrived after Thursday, plus Deb had wanted to see the car corral one more time. As I hobbled along, near the AACA tent, a golf cart went by the other way and the young man driving shouted "just stay there, I'll pick you up on the way back". So we stopped and after a couple of minutes, Mike Congdon, a local resident driving the cart picked us up. I expected nothing more than a ride to the gate, but as we got in the cart, he said "where do you want to go and what do you want to see"? I stammered something about not wanting to tie up too much of his time and he replied that he had 4 more hours to drive the cart and he might as well spend it with us!!!. "Well, I said, Deb wants to see the car corral inside the speedway, so if you can take us there??" He not only took us there, he drove the entire track giving us an opportunity to rest and see the complete corral. He then dropped us off at the entrance again, fully rested and ready to tackle some more flea market, but not without giving us his business card and telling us to just call if we needed anything else while we were in Charlotte!!! He also gave us the name and directions to a local Barbecue place that was OUTSTANDING!!! So I want to commend Hornets Nest Region on its volunteers particularly Mike Congdon. This example of Southern hospitality is part of what makes this event so great!!!